water pump Failure - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
water pump Failure
Tuesday, July 05, 2005 11:45 AM
I was setting waiting in line at Mcdonalds and MY water pump sprung a leak. Took it to A place where my Buddy works and he can see the pump is leaking. How tough is it to do myself? Anybody done this yet? its a 2.4 98 Sunfire.

JBP Built 2.4
250HP
230FT
Dont race
But dont push it

Re: water pump Failure
Tuesday, July 05, 2005 11:50 AM
Well, put it this way. Most shops charge about $600 in LABOR for the job. I got my spare motor because it was easier (and cheaper) for the guy to pull the entire engine out and replace it.

You have to remove all the timing chain stuff, its a PITA, if you want to try it yourself, give yourself about a week of working time if you've never done anything like that before.

4cyltuner.com - Information Source For 4 Cylinder Tuners
Buy stuff from CarCustoms Ebay! Won't be disappointed!

Tuesday, July 05, 2005 11:54 AM
Well I have rebuilt V8's For a longtime, But a 4 cyl is new one to me. I think Ill go buy a chiltons to see. Part costs 55 bucks at Autozone, Cant see 600 in Labor to change it out.

JBP Built 2.4
250HP
230FT
Dont race
But dont push it
Tuesday, July 05, 2005 12:03 PM
10 hour job at a shop * $60 shop rate = $600

Tuesday, July 05, 2005 12:10 PM
6 bones for changing out a water pump? I'll do it for 3... haha
Tuesday, July 05, 2005 12:16 PM
^ If you could change my waterpump out for $300, I will drive my car to your house right now. I'd bring a set of secret cams too, because they are basically drop in when doing the water pump, since you have to take the engine apart that far to get the pump out. It doesn't unbolt like old V8's.

Tuesday, July 05, 2005 12:18 PM
WEll you were 605 to change it out. It is run By timeing chains I guess, They have to remove exhaust and all that to get to it. Man I never woulda thunk it. I may get into the Mechanics buis, That kinda money holy crap i could make a killin.

JBP Built 2.4
250HP
230FT
Dont race
But dont push it
Tuesday, July 05, 2005 1:56 PM
outta that shop rate the wrench doing the work only gets 15-30 a hour , the rest pays the shop fees , service writers

LOL

i had planed on pulling out my motor do it , cause my cam towers are leaking oil also , and figured it would be easier to pull it , clean things up , give the motor a once over (has almost 100K miles) and go from their

Tuesday, July 05, 2005 2:13 PM
underpaid, overcharged... HAHA

I guess while you're at it, might as well change the timing belt, sproket and everything else...
if you want me to put cams on, that will be 500 more! HAHA
Tuesday, July 05, 2005 2:29 PM
WEll Being I got as Much work into this engine Iam going to do it myself. Pulling the engine seems the most logical, I have a extra car to use so Iam gonna take my time on this. It just makes me wanna shoot them friggin engineers that built that engine. I know there is an easier way to design an engine then that. It almost makes me think the Engineeers were paid off by Mechanics to make it so rough,. and to charge 60 to 100 for shop time is outrageous, But hey Gonna get my Hands dirty once more, There is some joy in this world ...lol

JBP Built 2.4
250HP
230FT
Dont race
But dont push it
Tuesday, July 05, 2005 3:05 PM
I just called the Pontiac house here (Sisneros 325.691.6420), they said the "book" told them it would take 7.5 hours to replace that water pump... labor is 697.97

HOLY CRAP!

Tuesday, July 05, 2005 4:50 PM
Miguel DLS wrote:I just called the Pontiac house here (Sisneros 325.691.6420), they said the "book" told them it would take 7.5 hours to replace that water pump... labor is 697.97

HOLY CRAP!

Not to be a pain in anyone's arses, but i just love how i can do my water pump on my 2200 in around an hour. having water pumps burried that deep into a motor just makes me scratch my head really hard. why?
Tuesday, July 05, 2005 5:15 PM
Miguel DLS wrote:I just called the Pontiac house here (Sisneros 325.691.6420), they said the "book" told them it would take 7.5 hours to replace that water pump... labor is 697.97

HOLY CRAP!

Well I called around amd Cheapest I got was 460 for a hole in the wall to do it, Thought about it for like .10 of a sec. Figuered with all the money I got into this, Iam gonna do it myself, No sense letting some idiot do it when I can do it myself.

JBP Built 2.4
250HP
230FT
Dont race
But dont push it
Tuesday, July 05, 2005 7:14 PM
last time i checked on that, book called like 6-6.5 hours.....we do that job with a delco pump and all gaskets for like 650-700 bucks...its not that bad once you get a few under your belt.....i can get em out in about 5 hours

Tuesday, July 05, 2005 7:36 PM
Still way toi High for a fricking water pump no matter how ya look at it.

JBP Built 2.4
250HP
230FT
Dont race
But dont push it
Tuesday, July 05, 2005 8:54 PM
well the water pump was 55 bones.... that was priced with a/c... hehe
Do it yourself, take your time, do it right, you can do it.... (that goes to an old song and I'm not going to finish it with 'baby, do it tonight, take your time') HAHA...
think of the money you'll save, buy a haynes book, it'll help you out....
Tuesday, July 05, 2005 11:55 PM
Already Bought one... Haynes that is,,,, And Iam not talking underwear either.

JBP Built 2.4
250HP
230FT
Dont race
But dont push it
Wednesday, July 06, 2005 12:12 PM
UPDATE: Just to let ya guys know, I went to dealer Parts to get gasket kit for project , Started talking to one of the mechanics and told him what happened and the price that they wanted , he laughed and said he would do it for 180.00. I about fell out my chair. He is picking it up tonight with his Car hauler and will finish it tommorrow, He said he does this all the time with clients, So , if you have a expensive item to replace, ie... water pump, Talk to one of the mechanics doing the work on the side. 1/4 the cost and the same work you would get from a service center. LMAO I love this.

JBP Built 2.4
250HP
230FT
Dont race
But dont push it
Wednesday, July 06, 2005 5:44 PM
I"m so happy I have a 2.2L.. So much easier to replace...
Wednesday, July 06, 2005 6:31 PM
yeah i used to go to service shops around closing and ask the mechanics if they would like some quick work on the side. must have saved me at least 2000 bucks doing that.

-Will Ong
Wednesday, July 06, 2005 8:51 PM
sweet

Thursday, July 07, 2005 7:34 AM
Thats good and all getting the work from the techs on the side but you lose the service center waranty for labor and maybe parts too if you do this. Its almost better doing it yourself
Thursday, July 07, 2005 7:48 AM
took me an hour to do mine and only cost 40 bucks for the pump.

only good thing about a 2.2

Thursday, July 07, 2005 1:05 PM
Nick Bibeault wrote:Thats good and all getting the work from the techs on the side but you lose the service center waranty for labor and maybe parts too if you do this. Its almost better doing it yourself

If you buy the part from Autozone you get a lifetime warranty from them as long as it is thier part. And the best part its free ,,, no extra charge. Just a tip for the masses,
to be honest waranty from Service centers are nothing to me. its the part that I worry about. And if it screws up then I call him back. Simple as that. If that dont work then Iam off to do it myself, The Funny thing is , if Tech screws it up, How am I , a guy that knows a helluva lots less then him fix it. Well there it is

JBP Built 2.4
250HP
230FT
Dont race
But dont push it
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search