poping - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
poping
Monday, July 04, 2005 10:57 AM
what is the problem with my steering. when i turn i hear a poping. is it the ball joints or the tie rod?

DRIVE HARD OR DONT DRIVE AT ALL!!!

Re: poping
Monday, July 04, 2005 11:58 AM
You need to grease the steering shaft in the dash.

go to your Gm dealer. It doesn't cost alot and it only take 1 hour top.

Gilles
2.3 Ho

Monday, July 04, 2005 5:32 PM
it could also be a strut mount

http://members.cardomain.com/scrawnyguy18
Monday, July 04, 2005 5:42 PM
in my haynes manual it says its the outer cv joint

Monday, July 04, 2005 6:54 PM
pluss when i bought the car about a year ago the springs were cut

Tuesday, July 05, 2005 12:00 PM
i personally don't have much faith in hanyes manuals. i guess the best thing to do in insoect the parts for wear. Like Mfk-223 said, it could be the steering shaft, i know that i have had bad strut mounts make a popping sound while turning the wheel (drivers side does that as we speak), a bad CV shaft will also tend to give you vibrations very similiar to an out of balance wheel. if you car shakes under acceleration then it very well may be the CV shaft.

Tuesday, July 05, 2005 3:10 PM
GM service manual sez.... (drumroll please)- CV bearings. That's real easy to check, like scrawnyguy18 suggested doing. Just look at the CV boots and you will immediately see if they are torn or damaged. If they are, You've probably found your problem.

I may not be the sharpest crayon in the box, but at least I'm a pretty color
Tuesday, July 05, 2005 7:15 PM
yea there is a slight shudder while under acceleration. is it hard to replace the outer cv joint?

Wednesday, July 06, 2005 10:25 AM
i have never replaced one on a thrid gen but i replaced both on my 2nd gen after i lowered it. Not really all that difficult. GM manual says:

1. disconect battery
2. raise vehicle and support
3. remove tire and wheel assembly
4. install shop towels underneath the outer joint to protect from any sharp edges
5. insert drift or non-ferous drift into caliper and rotor to prevent the rotor from turning
6. remove drive axle nut and washer
7. remove lower ball joint and cotter pin and nut and loosen joint using J 38892. if removing right axle, turn the wheel to the left. if removing left axle, turn wheel to the right
8. disconect ABS sensor
9. disconect stabilizer link
10. seperate ball joint using J 38892 (ball joint seperator at any parts store)
11. disengage axle from hub and bearing
12. seperate hub and bearing assembly from drive axle. move strut and knuckle assembly forward.
13. remove inner joint from transaxle

I just pulled the cv shafts out by hand but i have heard that sometimes you need to get a tool that looks like a long shaft with a C on the end. kinda like a large crows foot wrench. Autozone would prolly have one to rent if you need it. When you put the shaft back in cover the rubber boots with towles so that they don't get ripped when installing. It really isn't that hard of a job. I think the part for my '92 Z-24 was like $85.

Wednesday, July 06, 2005 12:29 PM
ok. if i keep driving it like this would it cause any more damage to my car. cause i dont have the time or money to fix it right now

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search