Balancer Shaft Question (installing chain) - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Balancer Shaft Question (installing chain)
Saturday, July 02, 2005 3:26 AM
i got the balance shaft back on the block, still havnt tightened it down, the piston is at TDC and the "dot" marks on the balancer shaft line up...in my haynes manual, it says, put the piston at top dead centre, then rotate the crank 90 degrees, then it talks about putting the chain back on..... Did i miss something here????? if i rotae the crank before i install the balance shaft chain, wont the marks on the crank and balance shaft not line up??? i know i must be reading it wrong, has anyone done this and can clear this up, i just wanna know why its asking me to rotate the crank 90 degrees when i can install the chain now when its at TDC and the marks on the balancer shaft are lined up,,,,,,,here is a pic i found on here, but still doesnt expalin why.

http://www.emulsified.net/upload/pics/bst.jpg

Re: Balancer Shaft Question (installing chain)
Sunday, July 03, 2005 7:55 AM
Croation Z24
My Chilton's book doesn't say anything about rotating the crank 90 degrees after the top dead centre mark is lined up. It shows lining up the two marks on the balancer gears,then making sure the #1 piston is at TDC compression stroke assemble the chain and torque it down.
How did you come about taking this balancer out in the first place...are you rebuilding? My 2.4L Quad four is making a terrible noise that I thought was the water pump, but after removing it and replacing the pump, Timing chain and gears, inspecting the camshafts etc., I don't think I've found the problem. Before I put it all back together do you have any suggestions?
Thanks
Doug
Sunday, July 03, 2005 2:18 PM
This is what my Haynes book says,

PLACE THE #1 PISTON AT TDC

ROTATE THE CRANKSHFT, CLOCKWISE, 90 DEGREES.

then it says to torque the bolts on the balancer shaft.

this is really confusing, this is the only step im stuck on.
Friday, July 15, 2005 2:38 PM
has anyone re-installed this balancer shaft, this haynes book is so confusing. even the pic i posted says to rotate the crank 90 degrees, can anyone please explain, i cant get my hands on a more detailed book cause im in europe and im doing the install here, can anyone help????? i just dont understand, why does it ask to rotate the crank 90 degrees, how to the dots line up after that. Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search