Ecotec spark plugs - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Ecotec spark plugs
Thursday, June 30, 2005 5:44 PM
Hey everyone,

I was planning on replacing my spark plugs this weekend in my Ecotec Alero. I was reading in my shop manual that I have, and it says to torque them at 15 inch pounds due to the aluminum heads. I only have a torque wrench that does Foot pounds. Is there any alternitive, or am I going to have to just buy an inch pound wrench? Also the manual says DO NOT use anti-seize compound on the plugs. I have never heard of this either, but it did come right out of the GM shop manual. Thanks for your help.

Re: Ecotec spark plugs
Thursday, June 30, 2005 5:57 PM
are you sure its 15 inch pounds ?? thats like 1.1 foot pounds, not even fingertight.......i think eco's are 15 foot pounds. and i wouldn't use anitseize either, its useless, ive never had a stuck plug. mabey your book has a typo on the torque, but just torque them tight......not like theyre gonna fall out

You'll never touch God's hand
You'll never taste God's breath
Because you'll never see the second coming
Life's too short to be focused on insanity
I've seen the ways of God
I'll take the devil any day
Hail Satan

(slayer, skeleton christ, 2006)
Thursday, June 30, 2005 7:22 PM
You dont need to torque spark plugs in all reality, unless your an idiot. First off dont make them to tight, or to lose.

I have small torque so it isnt a problem for me, but I would guess one full turn with a ratchet after they wont finger tight anymore should be about right, maybe 1.5 turns.

Antiseize IS a good idea, they sit in there and get hot and cold, hot and cold, all day long. Dont want them to be stuck in there do you?

- 2004 Cavalier - 124k, owned since new

Thursday, June 30, 2005 7:56 PM
Your at 100,000 miles already?

Thursday, June 30, 2005 9:00 PM
i change my plugs every 5-10k. i have 2 sets that i used JUST for daily driving if i know i wont have a chance to change them and i know i wont be getting on it any harder than i need to to merge with highway traffic.

i believe its 15lb/ft and NO ANTISEIZE! thats the biggest thing that 3 dealerships have now stressed to me.

I used to race cars, now I race myself.
5K PB: 24:50
10K PB: 54:26
Thursday, June 30, 2005 9:04 PM
All said is valid, but I personally would go with the book, and the AC plugs.
You really cannot go wrong in that case, but, The post said earlier, 100K?
That mileage is about right with platinum, but they can fail earlier.
Just consider this maxim for a moment, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"
Friday, July 01, 2005 4:11 AM
Thanks for your replys. I double checked my GM manual and it does say 15 inch lbs on the plugs. My Alero has 40k + miles on it. Spark plugs are not very expensive and it can't hurt to replace them since I will have time to do it this weekend. I would never go to 100k on spark plugs unless they were very expensive. Thanks for your help again.
Friday, July 01, 2005 8:32 AM
No anti seize uh? That's new to me. I've always been told to use antiseize on plugs going into aluminum heads.

What kind of plugs are you using? Got a part number?
Friday, July 01, 2005 9:51 AM
mrgto wrote:No anti seize uh? That's new to me. I've always been told to use antiseize on plugs going into aluminum heads.

What kind of plugs are you using? Got a part number?

Same here. I have always used anti-seize on all the other cars I have replaced the plugs in. But my manual has in bold letters not to use it. I find that strange, but I guess I will do what it says. I am using ACDelco's the part number is 41981.
Friday, July 01, 2005 2:01 PM
yea, I just checked the Helms Manual(the ones the service techs actually use) and on page 6-631 it does say "DO NOT coat spark plugs with anti-seize compound. Over torquing could occur and damage to the cyl head threads may result."

I am guessing they say this so that if you use a torque wrench you don't get the wrong readings.

When I change mine I am still going to do it because I have seen the result of not doing it and it isn't a fun job afterwards.
Friday, July 01, 2005 9:58 PM
The torque specs are important, aluminum is a relatively soft metal, easy damaged, which the ECO is primarily constructed of.
You can realisticly put any brand of plug into the head, but, the torque specs are what really matter.

Friday, July 01, 2005 10:04 PM
Same for the oil drian plug, do not over twist it , just enough to seat it.
Saturday, July 02, 2005 9:41 AM
Well my GM manual was WRONG on the torque spec of the spark plugs. Hypsy was RIGHT .It should have been 15 lb/ft NOT 15 lb/in. So that means that GM made a big mistake with their book. But anyway, it was a very easy job.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search