80K tune up - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
80K tune up
Thursday, June 30, 2005 6:16 AM
I've got a 2000 Sunfire 2.2L and am going to give it a tune-up tommorrow. I plan on replacing the plugs, wires, fuel filter, and possibly the ignition coil/coil pack (not the ignition module). My question is should I replace the coil packs, or just leave them alone? Autozone quoted me a price of 30 bucks each.

I just want to keep it running nice....the wife and I have a few road trips coming up, so I'd just like to go the extra mile and make sure it's running as good it can.

Thanks,

Chris

Re: 80K tune up
Thursday, June 30, 2005 7:50 PM
Coil packs normally dont fail. I dont remember having to many cars coming in the shop with bad coils. If it is working fine why replace it with the chance of getting a bad one?

- 2004 Cavalier - 124k, owned since new

Thursday, June 30, 2005 11:28 PM
Use a ohm meter to check the specks on the coil packs. A hayse manual will tell you the tolarances (or a nice mechanic).

Check for any cracking or brittal plastic.

I had to replace my coil packs on my 2nd gen after 100k miles do to cracks. Rain made my car run like poop.
Friday, July 01, 2005 2:05 PM
Well, it's too late now. I saw something in my Haynes manual about checking the resistance, but I guess I was too lazy and I already got them. I figured since it already has 80K, why not just drop them in there.

It was a fun learning adventure today though with the fuel filter. It took me a good 20 minutes to figure out how to release the 'quick release' clip. It's good, the wife's car's got an oil change, new oil filter, new air filter, new fuel filter, new plugs, new wires, and new coil packs, all for 110 bucks.

Chris
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search