car really heats up - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
car really heats up
Tuesday, June 28, 2005 4:05 PM
Have had this issue for a while now. Will be driving in normal traffic, and the temperature rises pretty much all the way to the red. The fan will kick in and the temp will stay hot, unless I'm driving fast for an extended period of time. The thermostat has been replaced, new coolant, waterpump and head gasket replaced at time of cam swap. I can't really think of anything else. I had my heat on full blast, and the temp stayed normal like it used to. Its a 2000 2.4L motor with 82xxx km's on it. Any suggestions what else to check? some ppl have suggested an OEM thermostat, what about the radiator, do they get clogged?

Re: car really heats up
Tuesday, June 28, 2005 6:07 PM
had that happen to me about 5 years ago, replaced the thermostat and then chemically flushed the system and the problem went away. hope thats the problem you have, cheap and easy to fix.

-Will Ong
Water pump
Tuesday, June 28, 2005 7:21 PM
Help!!!
My engine makes a terrible knocking noise and sounds like parts are going to fly out of it. Someone said it was the cam chain or camshafts, but I removed them and they look fine. Someone else said it was the water pump...so..

Chilton's says I have to remove the exhaust manifold to get the water pump off a 1997 2.4l...Is this true?

I got the metal pipe off that goes to the front of the engine and there's no thermostat in it..looks like the PO removed it. Should I replace it?

By the way is that pipe supposed to be flat.?..looks like it would restrict the coolant going to the radiator.

Any advice will be helpful.
Re: Water pump
Wednesday, June 29, 2005 12:26 PM
Well cmunn99gt

Maybe youre sending unit to the gauge is torn out. Heres a test mothed you can do to see if youre rad is shot, idle youre car in the driveway when youre car gets normal operating temp place youre hand about 1/2 inch away over the rad where the core is in the front part where the bumper is. If there is alot of hot spots on the rad it got blockage, Then you could try to do a flush solution in it. I would leave the flush solution in it for a few days of normal driving, Then do a complete flush of youre cooling system. If that doesn't work May need to replace the rad.

Good Luck

Keep us Updated
Thursday, June 30, 2005 12:05 PM
my car does the same @!#$. at idle or low speed traffic it heats up bad! my friend has a 00 ford focus and his does it too but if you kick on his ac it goes back to normal temp. huh?

2004 Cavalier, 2.2 ecotec, 5spd getrag
Jenny Black Thunder WILL Conquer All!!!!
Thursday, June 30, 2005 12:08 PM
Andrew Smith wrote:my car does the same @!#$. at idle or low speed traffic it heats up bad! my friend has a 00 ford focus and his does it too but if you kick on his ac it goes back to normal temp. huh?

I do the same thing! Maybe it's time for a new thermostat.

Jay

One huge aluminum wing - $200
More vinyl graphics than your ride can handle - $150
Decals for products you don’t even have - $10
500lbs of Car Audio equipment in the trunk - $1500
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Getting slaughtered by a KIA - Priceless
Thursday, June 30, 2005 12:29 PM
i went to the parts house to ask about one here awhile back and they cant get a thermostat at all for a eco.

2004 Cavalier, 2.2 ecotec, 5spd getrag
Jenny Black Thunder WILL Conquer All!!!!
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search