Supercharger/Turbo/Gas - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Supercharger/Turbo/Gas
Wednesday, June 29, 2005 11:37 AM
OK.
first of all... let me save the trouble for someone that will call me a newbie or whatever other name you can think of...the reason im posting this its because of gas milege and not for perfomance...and since there is always someone talking i figured i would save you time...

My question is: If you add a supercharger or a turbo to an 03 ECOTEC will the gas milege go up or down...?
its somewhat of a stupid question but i asked 2 mecanics the same question and they gave me 2 diffent answers...one told me that no matter what I add it will decrese the miledge and the other said that if i put a supercharger it will add milege to my car...

so now id like to have an actual answer...can you guys/girls help me out on this one?
Thank's to all for reading...

INCREASE THE PEACE!

Oscar

"I'm gonna put a curse on you and all your kids will be born completely naked."

Re: Supercharger/Turbo/Gas
Wednesday, June 29, 2005 3:17 PM
Adding milage to your car and raising gas milage of your car is 2 different things.

Wednesday, June 29, 2005 3:52 PM
what I ment was gas milege....all in gas milege...
will it decrese or raise the gas milege if i add a turbo or supercharger...
sorry..

Wednesday, June 29, 2005 4:55 PM
depends how you have it setup, and what kind of driving you do. In city, highway, mixed...
Wednesday, June 29, 2005 5:24 PM
it would actually be a mixed driving...i personally dont "race" or do crazy stuff while driving...the only reason i would get that type of power is when i need it...
so its not like im gonna use the boost everytime on the car...or everytime there is a green light...
it would be a daily commute of about 50 miles per day...
what do you guys think?
im going towards the supercharger because i have the tork on all rpm's so how would the gas milege be with that?

Wednesday, June 29, 2005 9:46 PM
I'm no scientific rocket, but it seems to me that anything you do to increase airflow (which is what forced induction does) will cause the computer to dump more gas into each stroke to compensate for the lean condition created by higher air intake, thereby reducing gas mileage.

I may not be the sharpest crayon in the box, but at least I'm a pretty color
Monday, July 04, 2005 8:32 PM
a turbo or supercharger would lower your fuel economy(less mpg)

and supercharger would lower it more then a turbo.

but both cause your engine to burn more air, and to keep an ideal air/fuel ratio the amount of fuel necessary would be more.

the only way to increase fuel economy would be to have the car tuned as well as it can be.

to lighten the car up

let the engine breathe better (intak and or exhaust)

and remove resistance on the engine (lighter parts especially rotating ones)
Tuesday, July 05, 2005 8:54 AM
Thank you Eric A for your time and explaining of how this thing works...
I knew by logic that if i put anything on the engine that increases performance it would drop the GAS miledge...
but since i spoke with 2 mechanics and both of them gave me different answers...i was like ???
and also thanks to the for answering my question!!!

Tuesday, July 05, 2005 10:23 AM
Oscar Ortega wrote:so its not like im gonna use the boost everytime on the car...or everytime there is a green light...

It's not like you can turn it off either. It's always on, if you want it to be or not. Everytime you step on the gas it's going to be pumping the air in.

Jay

One huge aluminum wing - $200
More vinyl graphics than your ride can handle - $150
Decals for products you don’t even have - $10
500lbs of Car Audio equipment in the trunk - $1500
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Getting slaughtered by a KIA - Priceless
Tuesday, July 05, 2005 2:27 PM
the boost would be "on" all the time if it was a turbo charger wouldnt it?
i thought the boost on the turbo is only for "high" rpm's? so in a way the turbo would be "turned off" in the low rpm's and turned "on" by the computer once it hits the high rpm's.... right?

Tuesday, July 05, 2005 2:57 PM
Negative. Any time you are running, the turbine is spinning. You may be confused thinking about the "spool up" time or turbo lag. It's just because the turbine is running behind the engine and takes a second or so to get up to speed when you start moving. It's still working, and even if you keep it at low RPMs the turbo will catch up and be pumping boost.

I may not be the sharpest crayon in the box, but at least I'm a pretty color

Tuesday, July 05, 2005 4:11 PM
ok...
now that we all know that forcing air into the engine will cost us to loose more gas....
does anyone have an estimate of HOW MUCH would you loose?

Tuesday, July 05, 2005 4:32 PM
Some of these posts can be misleading when it comes to turbos and Superchargers. Lets clear some things up.

Supercharger: Spins at the same speed of the crankshaft. If the engine is turning, so is the S/C. It will make boost at almost any RPM off idle, but most usually need at least 2K RPM to make maximum boost pressure.

Turbocharger: Similar to the supercharger in that its always spinning, but it won't start boosting until a certain RPM. So as long as the engine is running and making exhaust, the turbine will be spinning in its housing. As the RPM's rise, so does the velocity of the exhaust, which in turn spools up the turbo. Once the turbo is spinning fast enough, it starts boosting air into the engine. As the RPM's climb, the boost pressure (PSI) usually will too.

Under normal driving, you will probably lose a few MPG with either setup. So say you're getting 25 MPG now, you might get 22 MPG with the turbo or S/C.

As far as parasitic loss goes, the turbo has an advantage there. Whereas the S/C draws engine power in order to turn the rotors, the turbo robs no engine power, since its driven by the exhaust. When you're just cruising, the S/C only draws about as much power as you're A/C compressor would, which isn't very much.

The turbo would also be easier to modulate when it comes to boost pressure. Since it only starts to boost after a certain RPM, you could theoretically drive around the whole day and never hit boost once. It might be difficult (depends on what RPM it boosts at) but you could probably do it.

Bottom line is you're going to see a decrease in fuel mileage with either system. Its the tradeoff for the extra power that you get If you keep the RPM's low you can get pretty good fuel mileage with either system, also not that S/C's tend to be much easier to install and are generally more reliable (less complex).

Those are the facts, you decide. Good luck.

My CarDomain Page
Tuesday, July 05, 2005 4:48 PM
well i am finally happy with the theory behind it and i thank you all for the support...
it sounds like if i am well tempered behind the wheel i can get some good milege and also have power when i need it....
thank you very much wesmanw02 for that information that was definetly the info i was looking for... dang this place rocks!!!

Tuesday, July 05, 2005 8:54 PM
Turbocharger will decrease the gas mileage for sure. your car will have problem sucking air in because of the turbine when you go off the line, exhaust will also be restricted as well with the same explaination as air. This will cause you to step on the gas heavier to speed up faster, when your car gets into boost, you loose gas no matter if you have bigger injectors or fmu.

Supercharger, you are in boost all the time, and more air mean more gas, if your car will not supply more gas to go with the extra air, you'll have a bigger cost on the engine deterioring than the fuel cost.

Wednesday, July 06, 2005 4:54 AM
firewolf23 (Kevin) wrote:

Supercharger, you are in boost all the time, and more air mean more gas, if your car will not supply more gas to go with the extra air, you'll have a bigger cost on the engine deterioring than the fuel cost.

false.....................

number one it depends on the supercharger... weather you have a centrifigul design or a eaton type.....

i have a centrifigul it is much like a turbo the only diferance is it is spun by a pulley...... my rsm supercharger has a blow off valve and is not under boost until i get on the gas a little..... but as for everyday driving it is not under boost.............

rsm also has reprogrammed my computer to be my fmu and i have 270cc injectors.............

my milage has gone down considerably i prolly get something like 25 on the highway.... the milage is very bleack......

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search