Airbag light question - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Airbag light question
Wednesday, June 29, 2005 3:02 PM
my airbag light has been on for a while. i've taken it to a couple of places to get it scanned and nothing turns up. anybody got any suggestions? i've checked the fuses and everything was fine.
thanks in advance.

Re: Airbag light question
Wednesday, June 29, 2005 3:58 PM
When you turn your key to the ON position, but dont turn the car on it should blink.

example blink-blink-blink few second pause blink-blink would mean code 32

Try that see if you get a code.

- 2004 Cavalier - 124k, owned since new

Wednesday, June 29, 2005 5:15 PM
i just tried that out and the light blinks 7 times in a row and then stays on.
there's no pause in btwn.
thanks

Thursday, June 30, 2005 12:29 PM
On my 01 cavalier my airbag light flashes 7 times, Some times if I start my car right away the air bag light stays on, Then I turn the car off, retry it turns off. I am not sure what the deal is, I am guessing one of youre sending units for youre air bag is torn out possibly.

Good Luck
Thursday, June 30, 2005 2:39 PM
i'll go ahead and follow the wires for all connections to make sure that none of them are loose or out of place. this is where chilton's helps out quite a bit.

Thursday, June 30, 2005 7:19 PM
rich weeks wrote:On my 01 cavalier my airbag light flashes 7 times, Some times if I start my car right away the air bag light stays on, Then I turn the car off, retry it turns off. I am not sure what the deal is, I am guessing one of youre sending units for youre air bag is torn out possibly.

Good Luck

No, it is called a self test. It does a self test when you start your car, when its blinking the PCM is doing its test.

Also to the original poster.

To clarify you put your car in the ON position, but DIDNT start it correct?

thanks

- 2004 Cavalier - 124k, owned since new

Thursday, June 30, 2005 8:58 PM
yea...i just turn the key to the on position so that all the lights on the clusters turn on and what not. the airbag light blinks 7 times. i'll probably go through all the airbag connections tomorrow morning before the weather hits 100.

i'm also going to take my alternator to az to see if maybe it's not putting out what it's supposed to. i read on another post that that may be the problem. with the predator hood, i have to be making sure that the alternator doesn't get drenched.

Thursday, June 30, 2005 10:19 PM
Rob S wrote:

Also to the original poster.

To clarify you put your car in the ON position, but DIDNT start it correct?

thanks

Airbag modules will not show up on code pulls from the OBD port, its a completely seperate computer, most scan tools won't pull airbag codes, you need a Tech-2 or similar high end ($2k or more) scan tool.

4cyltuner.com - Information Source For 4 Cylinder Tuners
Buy stuff from CarCustoms Ebay! Won't be disappointed!

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search