A few auto trans ??ss - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
A few auto trans ??ss
Tuesday, June 28, 2005 7:13 PM
Not sure if this goes here... but it will get moved if it doesnt.

I have a 2000 auto trans 3spd 2200 cavi.

My questions...

Is it ok for my tranny if I shift to N at almost every stoplight cuz Im too lazy to hold the brake?

If I use my parking brake when I park, even though I dont have to, should I let the car roll to hit the parking pin first, then put the brake on? Or put the brake on to prevent it from hitting the parking pin? Or doesnt it matter? Should I have my foot on the brake when I let the parking brake off when still in park (when starting my car)?

hello
NEO WAS HERE
I have become too lazy to create a new sig.
you're reading my line-break
<A HREF="http://www.neo-j.741.com/">Check my website</A>

Re: A few auto trans ??ss
Tuesday, June 28, 2005 7:21 PM
using the parking brake is a good idea, first of all that way it doesn't seize from lack of use, secondly, then you have 2 chances if your parked on a hill, if the parking brake lets go, it'll hit the pin, or if its resting on the pin, the brake should hold it, You should put on the brake first, less strain on the transmission and rear brakes are cheap if they do fail

Tuesday, June 28, 2005 7:55 PM
Brake first, that was my hunch. So I also assume it wouldnt hurt to have my foot on the brakes when I release the parking brake.

Any comments on putting it in N at stop lights? Will this be ok on my tranny in the long run?

You're reading my line-break, you are a loser.

Tuesday, June 28, 2005 8:35 PM
PUtting it in N when at a stop light won't harm anything.

However i thought u had to have to car in gear while it's on a roadway by law in case u have to move the car quickly like getting out of the way!

Also if ur foot is not on the brake at a light, how will the person behind u know u aren't starting to drive? You could cause someone ot hit u!

Ryan1

Tuesday, June 28, 2005 9:14 PM
By law, you need to be in constant control of your vehicle. I'm still in control and alert... whos to say I dont need to go backwards to avoid the accident?

And as for the lacking brakelights... I'm sure they'll figure it out. 9 times out of 10, if Im stopped and see someone coming behind I will tap the brake so my lights come on until I see them come to a complete stop.

The only reason I ask about putting it in N is cuz I'm not entirely sure on the workings of a tranny, and jsut dont wanna screw myself over in the long run.

Tuesday, June 28, 2005 10:06 PM
Ryan1 wrote:PUtting it in N when at a stop light won't harm anything.

However i thought u had to have to car in gear while it's on a roadway by law in case u have to move the car quickly like getting out of the way!

Also if ur foot is not on the brake at a light, how will the person behind u know u aren't starting to drive? You could cause someone ot hit u!

Not really, its hard for a 5 speed guy to have his car in gear, foot on the brake, and on the gas for the quick reaction. I like to think I'm a blessed guy, but I don't have a 3rd leg to spare...

If the guy behind you needs brake lights to determine if the car in front of him is moving or not, he shouldn't be driving anyway.

4cyltuner.com - Information Source For 4 Cylinder Tuners
Buy stuff from CarCustoms Ebay! Won't be disappointed!

Wednesday, June 29, 2005 6:36 PM
Shifted wrote:If the guy behind you needs brake lights to determine if the car in front of him is moving or not, he shouldn't be driving anyway.

My thoughts exactly.

I always thought brakes lights to be most useful only in traffic, when sudden and frequent slowing and maybe stopping occurs.

Any second opinion that putting it in N at 99% of stop lights is ok?

Wednesday, June 29, 2005 9:45 PM
I'm always in neutral at 100% of red lights in my 5 speed... anyways, I'm just curious to hear the answer to your auto trans. question.

-----------
Words that you can't use in modding: Finished, Perfect, Cheap.
Thursday, June 30, 2005 6:22 PM
^^ I would like to hear the answer to my question also...

Well, Ryan1 already said it's ok, but Im looking for a second opinion. Not that I dont trust him or anything, just looking for some rounded ideas/thoughts/experiences etc.

Thursday, June 30, 2005 7:14 PM
No putting auto in Neutral at stop lights IS bad.

The reasons

#1 in neutral the trans has more moving parts than in drive, it may seen odd but it does

#2 shifting it back and forth all the time is harder on the linkage

- 2004 Cavalier - 124k, owned since new

Thursday, June 30, 2005 7:20 PM
Thank you kindly sir

Saturday, July 02, 2005 10:03 AM
people suck and forget about those who drive stick.

207 hp cavy
18,000 so far

200 hp rsx type S
23,900 still stock

I love my car
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search