Should I get my timing chain checked out? - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Should I get my timing chain checked out?
Tuesday, June 28, 2005 7:27 PM
I have a 97 2.2L with 160,000km (100,000 miles) and I'm wondering if the timing chain/tensioner should be replaced as preventative maintenance. What does it say in the owner's manual? (Sorry lost mine.) How much would this cost?

Also, my car's always had a pretty loud ticking noise. I've always assumed it to be the common valve/lifter noise and I haven't really worried about it. What can I put in my oil to make the noise go away before selling the car. (Looking at a 240sx )

Cheers

"I have a white car but my freind has a black car, and his car is faster than my car.
Does that mean Black cars are always faster than white cars?
But my dog is white and it beat a black dog in a race, so does that
mean that everything for dogs is opposite than for cars...........
p.s. where do you check the oil on a dog?.....i am so confused" - Nash

Re: Should I get my timing chain checked out?
Tuesday, June 28, 2005 7:34 PM
Ticking noise on a 2.2l usually means its your timing chain slapping the timing cover because your tensioner has gone bad.

Replace the timing chain, tensioner, and both sprockets.

Tuesday, June 28, 2005 7:54 PM
Where is the timing chain located on the 2.2ohv? It's been ticking for over 4 years so I kind of doubt it's the timing chain. I think it's gotten a little louder... but that could be because of the Mobil 1.

"I have a white car but my freind has a black car, and his car is faster than my car.
Does that mean Black cars are always faster than white cars?
But my dog is white and it beat a black dog in a race, so does that
mean that everything for dogs is opposite than for cars...........
p.s. where do you check the oil on a dog?.....i am so confused" - Nash
Wednesday, June 29, 2005 12:34 PM
Well need a z24 is youre car pinging when youre car is in gear? etc ( uphill or accel hard?). usually every 100,000k to 150,000k I would have the timing chain replaced. Well the chain can go far longer miles then rubber timing belt.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search