time to replace brake pads? - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
time to replace brake pads?
Monday, June 27, 2005 9:07 PM
Alright, my car has been making this sound for a while, its kind of a high piched sqeaking sound, and the way it sounds, it only makes that sound when the wheel rotates around to a certan point. And it seems to be coming from the right side of the vehicle, and it makes the sound a little when im going straight, but it really is loud and kinda embarrasing when i turn to the right.

Am i right about the bad brake pads, or are they rubbing, or is it worse than that.

Thanks

Re: time to replace brake pads?
Monday, June 27, 2005 10:50 PM
If you hit the brakes does the sound go away?

Tuesday, June 28, 2005 12:16 AM
There are indicators on the brake pads, also called screamers. Normaly they only make a noise when you press on the breaks. But if you let them go to long, they can make sounds without using the breaks.

If you pull your tire off, you can see them on the pad in the calliper. It will look like a curved L coming off the break pad.
Tuesday, June 28, 2005 5:54 AM
No it is your wheel bearing. They make a high pitched squeal, when driving, and going straight. You said it gets louder when you turn to the right, whatever you turn and it makes it it is the opposite side thats bad because of the weight transfer.
Does it make the sound when you turn lewft?

And Russ, wear indicator make a "chirp" "chirp" sound, and it goes away when you hit the brakes firmly. They dont make a nosie when you hit the brakes. I swear everyday I have to correct misinformation by someone.

- 2004 Cavalier - 124k, owned since new

Tuesday, June 28, 2005 5:55 AM
altho sometimes it could be something like a small rock gettin stuck in the pads, or gravel roads tend to do that to some vehicles, speaking form experience on my old car.

http://www.aplusperformance.com
http://www.modified-motorsports.com
Tuesday, June 28, 2005 7:35 AM
It could be either wheel bearing or brake pads, but I am leaning more towards brake pads. I had to change both on my '99 Z, so I know what both sound like.

My brake pads started squealing when I turned left, but didn't do anything when turning right. It usually will make the squealing go away when you hit the breaks, though.

When my hub assembly (wheel bearing) went out, it sounded way worse than the brake pads wearing out. It was like a whu-whu-whu-whu sound, and was worse at low speeds.

Rob

Sold 2/2/05
Tuesday, June 28, 2005 7:48 AM
^^^^ Exactly.

Tuesday, June 28, 2005 8:42 AM
Yeah, this, the squeak isn't that bad at low speeds, its like a squeak-squeak-squeak, then when you accelerate, it kinda blends together, into one constant squeal, and when i step on the brakes, it kinda grinds and sqeaks too.

Rob- no it doesn't make the sound when i turn left

03-CF-yeah, and i do live on a gravel driveway, and i drive on gravel to get to work.

Well, im gonna replace the pads and disc's anyway, they are rusting, and stuff, so im gonna repace them, but i was wondering if the bearing needs replaceing.

Also, has anyone replaced the wheel bearing, is it difficult, or is it pretty easy?

Thanks

Tuesday, June 28, 2005 8:54 AM
its fairly easy, just do your pads and rotors first and see if that takes care of your problems

Tuesday, June 28, 2005 9:05 AM
REDGOTE (ROBZ IL CAV) wrote:It could be either wheel bearing or brake pads, but I am leaning more towards brake pads. I had to change both on my '99 Z, so I know what both sound like.

My brake pads started squealing when I turned left, but didn't do anything when turning right. It usually will make the squealing go away when you hit the breaks, though.

When my hub assembly (wheel bearing) went out, it sounded way worse than the brake pads wearing out. It was like a whu-whu-whu-whu sound, and was worse at low speeds.

Rob

right its your pads. i just replaced mine last weekend because of the same sound

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search