ball joint - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
ball joint
Saturday, June 25, 2005 7:14 PM
I am replacing my ball joint. I removed the ball joint but now I am having problem installing the new one. My problem is when I removed the ball joint the strut and steering knuckle dropped down abit so the lower control arm is sitting higher. When I tried to jack up the strut and steering knuckle it starts to move away from the lower control arm. So I decided to remove the strut to alow me to put the steering knuckle on the new ball joint. I removed the three nuts from the strut tower and the two larger bolts from the bottom bracket that connects the strut from the steering knuckle and it worked I was now able to install the steering knuckle on to the new ball joint. But now when I install the strut to the strut tower I cant install the strut to the steering knuckle. I tried to jack up the strut but I cant get it aligned to bolt it in. I was thinking if I compress the spring will that give me the play I need to install the strut to the steering knuckle.

I NEED HELP PLEASE.

Re: ball joint
Saturday, June 25, 2005 7:49 PM
i'm not sure if this is much help, but this might be useful.

Fig. 1: Remove the cotter pin from the lower ball joint and ...

Fig. 2: ... using a wrench, loosen and remove the ball joint retaining nut

Fig. 3: Use a suitable prytool to remove the lower ball joint/control arm from the steering knuckle

Fig. 4: The factory ball joint is mounted to the lower control arm by three rivets. They must be drilled out to remove the ball joint

1. Raise and safely support the vehicle.

2. Remove the tire and wheel assembly.

Care must be exercised to prevent the axle shaft joints from being over-extended. When either end of the shaft is disconnected, over-extension of the joint could result in separation of internal components and possible joint failure. Failure to observe this can result in interior joint or boot damage and possible joint failure.

3. Disconnect the stabilizer link from the control arm.

4. Remove the cotter pin and nut from the ball joint.

5. Separate the ball joint from the steering knuckle using an appropriate tool.

6. Drill out the 3 rivets retaining ball joint to the lower control arm. Use an 1/8 in. (3mm) drill bit to make a pilot hole through the rivets. Finish drilling rivets with a 1/2 in. (13mm) drill bit.

7. Remove the ball joint from the control arm.

To install:

Fig. 5: Replacement ball joints are mounted by three bolts

8. Install ball joint into the control arm.

9. Install 3 new bolts and nuts (supplied with new ball joint) and tighten.

10. Position ball joint stud through the steering knuckle and tighten nut to 41 ft. lbs. (55 Nm) and install a new cotter pin.

11. Connect the stabilizer link to stabilizer bar and tighten the nut to 13 ft. lbs. (17 Nm).

12. Install tire and wheel assembly.

13. Lower the vehicle.

14. Check front wheel alignment and adjust, if necessary.

This information came from Autozone's website.
I don't have my manual on me at the moment. It's been a long while since i've changed mine.

Re: ball joint
Friday, July 15, 2005 7:25 AM
I was actually just getting ready to do that today and that helps alot because i just needed to physically see what needed to be done. Thanks for the pics

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search