smells like oil...... - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
smells like oil......
Saturday, June 25, 2005 5:01 PM
I have 78xxx kms on my 2.4 now. I have only been driving the car for the past 25xxx kms. The last owner was a 50 year ol' man. I have only used syin. oil and 91 oct. gas. I have been noticing a slight burning oil smell (at least I think thats what it is) for a while (before I stored the car last year and on going this year). The smell is mainly when I'm accelerating on a hill or when I'm on the gas hard. There's a little bit of soot in the muffler and sometimes and only sometimes on start-up I get a little poof of black smoke. Just a little. I pulled the plugs and there clean. No oil, no nothing. Any Ideas as to what it is. Valves stem oil seals, rings, etc. Its not real bad now but I want to get on this asap and maybe save myself some money or a motor. Thats if it's not too late! Any input would be good. Thanks a lot.

Re: smells like oil......
Saturday, June 25, 2005 5:50 PM
pvc(pcv?) valve?

http://www.ohiocichlids.com <<<<If you keep cichlids
Sunday, June 26, 2005 5:27 AM
any external oil leaks, specificly one near the exaust system?
oil could be leaking from the valve cover, through a gap at the exaust manifold-
flange and into the exaust system ahead of the valves/plugs.
Monday, June 27, 2005 1:38 PM
It could be blow by from the rings, Do a compression soon times. Take off your oil cap and see how much presher is blowing out of it if you feel alot of air blowin out then its more then luckly blow by. My car has some blow by and on a warm start-up i do get a puff of black smoke but only on strat ups.

Monday, June 27, 2005 3:47 PM
yeah I'd check all your hoses, gaskets, and your crank case for leaks. There could even be oil gettin into your cylinder. Or bring it into the shop, they can pin point a leak real easy.. is the smell comin in from your air vents?.. well all i really can say is, oil is where it's not supposta be, and you need to find out where that is lol

Saturday, July 02, 2005 1:43 PM
black fire, are you going through any oil? My car never burned a drop of oil since I bought it a couple of years ago until now. Its not burning much at all but I did have to add a little a couple of days ago. I going to use 10W30 this oil change to see if the thicker oil will help any. I am gettin' a bit of air blowing out the filler cap. I'm so pissed. I so want 14's this year and the car was running great too. I think it maybe time to move on to another project.
Tuesday, July 05, 2005 8:38 PM
Well I think I found the problem. The hose from my intake to the pcv is pushed up against the back of the TB. The hose is almost pinched off. I'm going to replace the hose tomorrow. I moved the hose away from the TB and I haven't smelled any oil since. The hose still needs to be replaced but $22 for that is a lot better then replacing the motor.

fast, reliable or cheap. choose two.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search