2.3 block code questions... - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
2.3 block code questions...
Thursday, June 23, 2005 6:49 PM
I just got back from Connecticut from picking up 4 Quad 4 motors...

I have the Block ID#'s... the block numbers... and the head numbers... and the 2 didgit/letter stamped numbers (ex: H2)

I do not know if they're Lo's, HO's or W41's... there is no IDI cover, which could possibly not mean much anyway...

How do I go about finding out what types of motors these are and is there a way to get any more info on them???

Re: 2.3 block code questions...
Thursday, June 23, 2005 7:29 PM
I've been looking some of the info up on here....

Quad info

but not ALL of the numbers i have are listed... most... but not all

Thursday, June 23, 2005 8:04 PM
its hard to tell unless you pulled it out of a car , and thats provided the motor was never messed with

the HO and W41 will be the hardest to tell apaprt , unless yo check the cams

there is alot of LO motors that came from the factory with HO parts

best is to look at the timing covver area on the head , near the #1 spark plug , there will be the casting # for the head , the best 1 is the 086 which is the HO, W41 head , but as i said it was also put on the LO motors from the factory

Friday, June 24, 2005 3:45 AM
The Ho/Lo/W41block are all the same. the casting changed a few times but the block itself is the same.

like the 90-92 had the 326 and 442 block but both were use in Ho/Lo application.

If you're looking for what engine it is, check the dish on the piston. take out the spark plug and check the piston. if you see 2 valve relief it's an Ho otherwise it's a Lo.

That's the best way to tell becasue some Lo had Ho cams, Ho intake manifold, 086 head.

The exhaust manifold on the Lo should look like a 4-2-1 header. even tough they have some Ho parts, the Lo will have the header style exhaust manifold that doens't flow for ****.

Another thing, 955 heads were use in the 87-89 2.3. unless the guy owning an Ho change the 086 with a 955, the engine should be a Lo.

This will help you alot with the part number

Gilles
2.3 Ho

Friday, June 24, 2005 10:26 AM
Mfk-223> Is there a way you might be able to help me out with some of these numbers??? I mean i got one that looks like it's an 87 block with a newer head (block 788, head 436, not 955 like it said it should be)

And I THINK I'm sitting on 2 HO motors... and one 2.4. I'm wanting to learn all I can about what I can do with these motors... and if in fact I'm sittin on an HO or two I want to put one of them in my car...

I've been doing auto body and paint for years... but I'd like to learn about motor work and such... I have people near here that know a lot about motors that can assist me in the process... but not 2.3's specifically so I'd like to know what I can do with them.

Saturday, June 25, 2005 7:23 AM
the 788block with 456 head combo is normal. The 456 head was teh "replacement" for the older head when they were cracking. If the previous owner cracked the head, he bough a new one from gm and it's the 456 that Gm was selling.

the 2.4 don't have the same manifold. they are completely different. The oil fill cap is on the timing chain housing. they don't have any dipstick in front like the 2.3 and they has a 683 head.

Like I said, to find out if you have an Ho or Lo, you have to check the pistons. The Ho/W41 will have valves relief on them and the Lo won't but will have a deeper dish on the piston.

Gilles
2.3 Ho

Saturday, June 25, 2005 7:28 AM
So how you you distinguish from an HO and W41?

(that's the last question I got for ya)

Thank you!

Saturday, June 25, 2005 9:42 AM
the duration on the cams is differnet..

The W41 won't have a 326 or 442 block. it will have either a 377, 661 or 927 block.

It's suppose to have a 086 head.

If it has a 753 or 456 head, you'll have to check the cams.

If you have an Ho and think the other one is a W41, check the cam one beside the other. The lobe are clearly different.

Gilles
2.3 Ho

Saturday, June 25, 2005 10:43 AM
sweet!!!

looks like the one could go either way... 661 block, 753 head..... the other one, block is probably actually a 377 (had wrote down 177... but no sleep for over 30 hours could have meant miswriting or reading) and an 086 head. It's just the motor, no intake or exhaust manifolds or IDI covers

So I'm potentially sitting on 2 W41's then?

I have a 2.3LO (95 GT) in my car now... what extra parts would I need to put in a W41? Can I keep the computer that's in the car now or do I need a new one?

I want to turbo my car later on this year... besides the obvious turbo necessities, what should or do I need to do to the motor to run 12-15psi without blowing anything up?

I was told that on an HO, with replacing the head gasket with something stronger (I was told Felpro or double steel or something), with just the head gasket I could run 12psi and not blow anything up, unless I'm constantly beating the crap out of it... which I wouldn't,... I'd only plan on going to the track maybe a couple of times a year if that.

Like I said I know people that do know a great deal about motors and turbos... but you seem to be very knowledgable about 2.3's... and I want to make sure it's done right.

Thank you so much again!!!

Saturday, June 25, 2005 11:48 AM
12 psi on the Ho/W41 is risky. It will take alot of tuning. I wouldn't use anything else than Fel-pro on a 2.3.

It can be 2 ho, 2Lo, 1Ho-1Lo too cause they were using the same block/head. You have to mesure the cams. you don't have any choice now.

what you have to do to find out now:

1- Check the pistons for valves relief (if you have 2 valves relief, you have either an Ho or W41)

2- Check the cam.

3- Come back and tell me what you find out.

The problem with the 2.3 is that they all use the same head/block. You need to check the manifold(since you don't have them it's different), check the pistons and then check the cams.

Gilles
2.3 Ho

Saturday, June 25, 2005 12:09 PM
well the motors right now are at my friend's house about 1 1/2 - 2 hrs away, cause right now I have no place to store them.

I'm going to be checking into storage rental real soon, and move them down closer to here where I can take them apart, check everything out, and see what exactly I got.

When I do that, shall I rebring up this post or shoot ya an email? I tried adding you to my yahoo messenger but it says your sn doesn't exist?

Thank you very much for all your help and I"ll be in touch!!!!

Saturday, June 25, 2005 8:24 PM
Now everything thing is back to normal. I had some problem with my registry. I had the good info in the right spot and it was showing something different than what I had.

Email me and I'll help you. You can bring back the thread too once you get more info so that more people can see it.

Gilles
2.3 Ho

Sunday, June 26, 2005 7:05 PM
Will do thank you!!!

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search