Oil leaks - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Oil leaks
Wednesday, June 22, 2005 9:59 AM
I just noticed oil spots in the driveway where my car normally parks. What should I check for that may be leaking? Seals, etc? It doesn't seem to be much, but it is concerning me a little bit.

BTW, I have the 2.2 with 115,000 miles on it....

Re: Oil leaks
Wednesday, June 22, 2005 10:06 AM
Us telling you where to check wont help you much. You need to find the leak yourself, could be anything, oil filter not on tight, rear main oil seal, oil pressure sending unit, valve cover. This is more of a you find the leak and we tell you how to replace the leaking part.

- 2004 Cavalier - 124k, owned since new

Wednesday, June 22, 2005 10:06 AM
Also oil pan gasket, and maybe even the drain plug isnt sealing well.

- 2004 Cavalier - 124k, owned since new

Wednesday, June 22, 2005 10:12 AM
I haven't had the time to check it out yet, I was just trying to get an idea of what to look for when I do.

Wednesday, June 22, 2005 9:32 PM
oil pan, oil filter, drain plug. If it were anything else, youd see it when you have the hood open Id imagine.

http://www.ohiocichlids.com <<<<If you keep cichlids
Thursday, June 23, 2005 6:13 PM
I recently had my rear main seal replaced at ~170K miles. Oil residue at/near engine/tranny seam. Oil pan gasket gets replaced when doing the job, or have it done, so two birds with one stone on that one. Valve cover gasket is a do-it-yourselfer on any level, if that's the culprit.
Friday, June 24, 2005 6:27 AM
Thanks for the ideas. I should have time this weekend or the beginning of next week to find the leak.

Saturday, June 25, 2005 4:28 AM
Take some easy-off oven cleaner and a powerwasher to your engine... then wait to see where the oil comes from

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search