Lil oil problem - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Lil oil problem
Wednesday, June 22, 2005 9:19 PM
Im not so certain this is truly a "little" oil problem

You see im driving home from work at normal speeds...not even doing 90+ or anything like that and all of a sudden my car sounds like im low on oil. So i pull into the gas station check the dip stick and it appears slightly low, (not enough to do anything) so i stick some oil in it. And then fire it back, up. Seems to go away. Well i get almost home and hear it again..and im like...man im leaking some mad oil or something (im about a block away from home at this time) so i was just gonna pull it over in front of my house and put some more in it and examine it mkore touroghly, well about half way down the block it starts sounding like theres NO oil in it. So i shut it down and coast it into the parking spot.

Open the hood and guess what...theres still full oil and absolutly no oil on the ground and it doesn't smoke at all.

The engine is a 2.4 and the car is a '98

Could this be a toasted oil pump? the car has 111,000 on it roughly, but rebuilt at 84,000 and ran REALLY strong. I know it an oil problem, if this is the oil pump and i fix it....how much damage did i do? and what is the pump gonna cost me etc...

Never torn down a four cyl. engine before and i really like the car. Saves me lots-o-gas compared to my 4 MPG Ford Pickup and sure would like to keep it awhile longer

Brent

nwuonline.com
Proud member on JBNW.org
JBO member since 2004

Re: Lil oil problem
Thursday, June 23, 2005 8:12 AM
Try this....with the car on, remove the oil fill cap. The oil pump should lose a bit of pressure and the car should bog a little. If it doesn't I'd say you ur pump may have gone. (I may be wrong thou)

Thursday, June 23, 2005 9:59 AM
he has a 2.4 he doenst have a cap... only the eco;s have the cap...

Thursday, June 23, 2005 11:26 PM
Tony I own a 1998 Z24 and sure as anything, I have an Oil fill cap. Mark is correct in what he says.

98 Z24

RIP Specks
Friday, June 24, 2005 5:20 PM
Brent Lister wrote:So i pull into the gas station check the dip stick and it appears slightly low, (not enough to do anything) so i stick some oil in it.

Just curious on how you could tell that your oil was "slightly low" with a hot engine? Are the 2.4s different than every engine I've ever seen, and have a hot and cold line on the dip stick? I'm not being a smart ass, I'm really wondering.

Also importfightercavalier, how would you put in oil without a fill cap?
Friday, June 24, 2005 6:11 PM
importfightercavalier wrote:he has a 2.4 he doenst have a cap... only the eco;s have the cap...

most retarded thing ive ever heard

Friday, June 24, 2005 6:43 PM
Sounds like a toasted rod bearing to me.

4cyltuner.com - Information Source For 4 Cylinder Tuners
Buy stuff from CarCustoms Ebay! Won't be disappointed!

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search