Knock in turning, shudder on acceleration - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Knock in turning, shudder on acceleration
Saturday, June 18, 2005 6:59 PM
Made a post a little while ago on how I was replacing an axle on my 03 sunfire, but figured I'd repost for an update. So I had a knock while steering to the left and it sounded like it was coming from my passenger wheel, so I cocked the wheel and looked in there and sure enough the cv boot was split and grease everywhere, so I figured the axle was the culprit. Two weeks later I finally get the correct axle (for those other ecotec 5-speed owners, don't let auto part's stores give you the passenger side CCT remanufactured axle part #9464... it's the wrong one).

After slapping my shiny new axle in there and putting it back together, it still knocks. Well I got it done the day before I was supposed to drive to the Keys and now confident that it wasn't at least the axle or tie-rod end (looked fine while I was in there) I decided to hoof it the 300 some odd miles to Key Largo, and on the way home I noticed that it would start to shudder under acceleration. Like the whole car vibrates noticeably under throttle in all gears. Any idea what else could be wrong? Hopefully it's the same part lol it'd make it easier... I would just take it to the dealer at this point but my car's lowered so I figured they'd probably give me a ration of bull@!#$.

Re: Knock in turning, shudder on acceleration
Saturday, June 18, 2005 7:28 PM
Hi 127

I have had a swaybar link break on a '93 2.2 which, if I had not been quick off the mark, would have allowed enough excess movement to split the CV boot.

It did make some strange noises as well.

Just check both links in case one has broken.

Alont
Sunday, June 19, 2005 6:02 AM
hmm I checked the passenger side while I was in there naturally and it was fine. It was me goofing up on a brake job that caused the boot to go out.
Sunday, June 19, 2005 11:47 PM
I had a very similar problem on my 04 Sunfire that I used for SCCA Rally Cross, and the problem turned out to be the hub assemblies about 75 a peice at advance auto. That vibration your getting I had too, I thought is was tire noise from a jacked up allignment cause that was off too but even after the allignement i still had the problem and after replacing the hub assemblies it all went away.

Monday, June 20, 2005 2:58 AM
Yeah I should check my alignment also since I just changed out the axle

I was thinking the hub would vibrate all the time though? This is only when I'm using the throttle.

I'll check it out though... according to my Haynes manual incorrect toe angle can do that too. It also says incorrect spring height lol... i wonder what they count as incorrect... 1.4" drop?
Wednesday, June 22, 2005 6:20 AM
when I first started noticing it it was only during acceleration and hard turns the I felt or heard anything but didn't really think much of it till it happened non stop then I replaced the hubs

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search