Check Engine - p0401 - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Check Engine - p0401
Tuesday, June 21, 2005 5:58 PM
This car is doing some wierd stuff. This is the first time my check engine light has ever come on. Its a 95 auto cav.

Basically, when the light comes on it'll idle rough, but my new question is why does the fan come on when the light comes on? Sometimes if i give a little gas while idiling it'll go away, but then it just comes back.

The error code is (EGR Insufficient Flow Detected) is this a for sure EGR Valve? Is there anyways I can test the egr valve to see if it is working correctly? Would a carbon build up cause the valve to work incorrectly?

Lastly, I know the egr valve is for emmisions, is it bad for the car to be driving it around with this bad valve and the CEL coming on and off?

Sorry for the similar posts, but I had extra questions.

Thanks again guys.
HELP!

Derreck

Re: Check Engine - p0401
Tuesday, June 21, 2005 8:27 PM
I had a problem with my EGR valve. Forgot what the code was that lead me to it, but all i did was take it off and clean alot fo the carbon build up. It has spring loaded valve, like a plunger. Before I cleaned it off this valve would move slowly because of the build up. After the clean up u could see it move alot more without hanging up because of the carbon. I think a new one cost like 80 bucks at autozone. 32mpg before the clean up and getting 37mpg after cleaning it. Reset the computer to clear the code and no problems.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search