Grinding noise - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Grinding noise
Sunday, June 19, 2005 1:10 PM
My 2000 sunfire has this weird grinding noise it has had since I got it about a year ago. I always thought it was the passenger side wheel bearing cause it had alittle play in it, but I just replaced it and the problem is still there.

Its not continous, its like grind grind grind grind and speeds up when you go faster, and it does it no matter what gear, or clutch in. I have checked the drivers side hub and it seems free of play. I just jacked it up and supported on jack stands and put it in gear and let the wheels spin and it did it louder then ever. The funny thing is in the car its wicked loud, but when I got out to try to hear where it was comming from I couldn't hear it.

I'd rather not spend the money to replace the other wheel bearing when I could put my ear right to the wheel and not hear it, so I was thinking drive shafts, but I got pretty close to those and all I heard was wind off them. I'm wondering if its like the output shaft bearing or something in my tranny, and its using the frame to amplify it inside the car.

Any ideas??!!

Re: Grinding noise
Monday, June 20, 2005 9:23 AM
Does the noise seem to follow the speed of the CAR or the RPM?

SoupMan

- and no, 'Soup' in SoupMan does not stand for Soup Up but for 'Soup' as in Lipton 'Soup'. -
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search