Starter......possibly? - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Starter......possibly?
Monday, June 20, 2005 4:47 AM
Started on friday, i went out to start the car, and she almost reacted like it was exposed to -30 degree cold for the night, really went in slow motion when starting it.....
She does start after about 5 seconds,
Would this be the starter?
How can I test for the starter(if any)
Is this a hard thing to change?

thanks in advance,
Kristen

Re: Starter......possibly?
Monday, June 20, 2005 5:28 AM
I would say the batterie. The starter would either cause a whining noise or simply spin with no noise or sign of rotating the motor. I say at 95% it's the batterie.

SoupMan

- and no, 'Soup' in SoupMan does not stand for Soup Up but for 'Soup' as in Lipton 'Soup'. -
Monday, June 20, 2005 7:00 AM
You can check battery voltage, it takes about two seconds. Using a mulitmeter hook it up to the battery, standing charge 12.5 volts, car on 14.5 volts.

- 2004 Cavalier - 124k, owned since new

Monday, June 20, 2005 8:01 AM
ok, i will check the battery with my multimeter tonight, been a couple of months since i last checked it...last time it was over 14, but well see tonight...
i will post the results...
thanks,

Kristen
Monday, June 20, 2005 10:23 AM
just took my readings with the engine off, reading of 12.9 V
So not looking like the battery.....

I am so terrified one of these times i will shut it off and not get it going again...

Please help!!

thanks
Monday, June 20, 2005 2:23 PM
I just turned the lights on and started it, they go very very dim on the engine turning over,
seems to be draining alot of the battery juice to start it, even though I read 12.9 v on the battery, this could still be a bad battery??
Monday, June 20, 2005 6:34 PM
Well i did different tests that i researched online, which included the starter, alternator, regulator, and came down to the problem lying in the battery...
just hooked up the new battery and i guess there was a few dead cells in the old battery...
started up like a dream now...
Thanks Soupman/ Rob S, good call!

Kristen
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search