no start problem w/ anti theft system - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
no start problem w/ anti theft system
Saturday, June 18, 2005 7:34 AM
Hey everyone,

Currently, my '01 Cavalier does not start. The key turns all the way but nothing happens, no clicking, nothing. On the instrument cluster, the anti-theft system light stays on, and my mechanic said this is a common problem....He said the anti-theft system prevents hot wiring or using a screw driver to start, and that there is a problem with this system that it does not recognize my key. My key is not the kind with the microchip implanted in it, though. He also suggested that I just leave my key in the 'run' position for about 20, then try to start the car. I did this and nothing changed.
I read on some websites that the problem deals with the anti-theft system in combination with the ignition lock cylinder.
Does anybody know of a quick fix for this or any suggestions with this problem?

Re: no start problem w/ anti theft system
Saturday, June 18, 2005 7:05 PM
Well I would first of all the disconnect the neg post of the battery, For a few mins, So that the computer resets its self, Then try starting the car see what happens. It could be the common thing have happen is the ingition module could be hooped, Or starting to fail. Ive got a 01 cavalier as well, No troubles yet with starting, let us know if that trick worked for ya?

good luck
Re: no start problem w/ anti theft system
Sunday, June 19, 2005 4:02 AM
I had a similiar thing happen this spring except my engine turned over but didn't fire. Hauled it in and they had to replace the tumbler and the switch. $700 later everything is fine.

Good luck
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search