belt tensioner - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
belt tensioner
Saturday, May 28, 2005 11:42 AM
im looking for where the belt tensioner is on my 97 cavalier 2.2, i cant seem to find it anywhere, i seen a diagram of a 2200 engine and it says it should be right below power steering pump, but i cant seem to find it anywhere, any help out there guys, thanks in adavance!!

Re: belt tensioner
Saturday, May 28, 2005 12:05 PM
2200 engine has a few slight differences than the older 2.2;s

yours is on the metal bracket that the engine mount is seccured to.... roughly right down under where your alternator pulley is...

http://www.ny-jbodies.org/library/engine/2.2/views/cylinderheadassembly.htm

on the 2200, its located near the back of the engine but on the side... yours is more towards the front.

Saturday, May 28, 2005 12:20 PM
ok sweet, thanks event, you seem to know the anwsers to most of my problems, appriciate it!!!

Saturday, May 28, 2005 12:57 PM
ok i got that, now my problem is there a a noise, like a squeeking/rubbing noise coming from there, i wanted to loosed up tensioner and see if i could feel any play in any of the pulley to find out what it is. i loosedent the bolt, and now what do i do just push down on the pulley to get it to loosen, do i have to take bolt all the way out? and when i go to tighten it back up do i just pull up on the pulley?

Saturday, May 28, 2005 1:01 PM
well basically that bolt holds the pulley on there. make sure if you do hear noises to fully tighten that bolt back up...

when if you have it all off, and just wanna take it off to see how it works, be careful not to lose parts, but its the pulley wheel, and behind it is a washer and a large bearing.

but when you put all the stuff back on, make sure that bolt is tight

Saturday, May 28, 2005 1:44 PM
well in what i stated before, i made it sound like it was the tensioner that is making the noise, i dont know what it is, but it is coming from the belt area, could be any of the componets, i just need to undo the tensioner first, sorry for the confusion,
but i loosened that bolt and it didnt really feel liek it got looser, and i dont want to screw anything up that will cause me more problems...

Saturday, May 28, 2005 3:34 PM
sorry if this is late, but most tensioners usually rotate in a certain direction to loosen the belt...

are you using a tensioner tool? or using a wrench?

Saturday, May 28, 2005 5:55 PM
well i was using a rachet and 15mm socket, couldnt really figure out how to loosen so i just kinda gave up for now before i brokes something

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search