TV cable adjustment for autos, anyone done it? - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
TV cable adjustment for autos, anyone done it?
Friday, May 27, 2005 11:48 PM
just checking to see if after adding a TB from another source, has anyone adjusted their TV cable.

not sure if it needs to be done, but if a throttle body sits lower than stock, even a mm lower, then would the TV cable need to be adjusted?

for those who dont know about it, its not the cruise control (dont have that) and its not the accelerator cable (have that)

its the cable that goes from the driver side of the trans and ends up on the throttle cable bracket and usually has a square plug, not a circle...

anyone or tech have any info on this. i have the procedure in the shop manual, but just checking to see if there is a need to.

this is with the 56mm tb from the 2.3's....

Re: TV cable adjustment for autos, anyone done it?
Friday, May 27, 2005 11:53 PM
haha...i totally thought you were talking about a TV ( television) cable...

i was like WTF this guys an idiot... he ran a TV cable out to his car from his house

show me a picture though lol i have the 2.3L tb and id be interested to know if i have to adjust something

Friday, May 27, 2005 11:58 PM
I thought most of the 3rd gens had electronically shifted auto transmissions (They have no TV cable)

Saturday, May 28, 2005 12:41 AM
pezed wrote:I thought most of the 3rd gens had electronically shifted auto transmissions (They have no TV cable)

3t40 is the same th125c transmission from the early ages...

the 4t40E (e for electronic) is the electronically shifting tranny.

nah no telly cables here, on your throttle body it was the cable that is more towards the front of the car... basically theres a cable with a ball on the end, and one with a peg... the one with the peg goes to the tranny.

Saturday, May 28, 2005 12:55 AM
maybe i missed something? lol all i remember seeing was the throttle and cruise control

Saturday, May 28, 2005 2:46 AM
ya i played with that when i did my o rings....i pulled it almost all the way out and i do belive its called the "torque converter clutch" and when it was all the way out i was going 50km in 2nd and the engine was revving quite high...and all the way in i was either in 3rd or 4th....its just the automatic ajustment thats not so automatic..by the way i have a 92 2.2 liter....i think if u live in a hilly area u want it out but not to much and perhaps if u live in the praries u want it in but MAYBE not to far......
Saturday, May 28, 2005 2:55 AM
if you move the Tb down 1mm, you need to lower the mounting point of the Tv 1mm lower otherwise you'll make it loose.

You have to move both, the Tb and Tv at the same time or same distance if you prefer.

I know on my 91 2.2 it's mount on the intake manifold with a big metal box to mount both cable so if I wuld lower the Tb or make it higher, I would have had to move the mounting point of both cable.

Gilles
2.3 Ho

Saturday, May 28, 2005 9:21 AM
closer to which area, was the release button? was it more near the top or was it more towards the tranny?

basically its saying press the button, release the conduit cable, then release the button

the rotate the throttle plate open, and you should hear some clicks??

any of that sounding familiar?

Sunday, May 29, 2005 2:30 AM
Throttle Valve (TV) Cable Adjustment

Setting of the TV cable must be done by rotating the throttle lever at the carburetor or throttle body. Do not use the accelerator pedal to rotate the throttle lever.

With the engine off, depress and hold the reset tab at the engine end of the TV cable.

Move the slider until it stops against the fitting.

Release the rest tab.

Rotate the throttle lever to its full travel.

The slider must move (ratchet) toward the lever when the lever is rotated to its full travel position.

Recheck after the engine is hot and road test the vehicle.

(http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiBroker?ForwardPage=/az/cds/en_us/0900823d/80/0f/11/bc/0900823d800f11bc.jsp)

YOUR WELCOME
Sunday, May 29, 2005 5:00 PM
Nicolas Smith wrote:Throttle Valve (TV) Cable Adjustment

Setting of the TV cable must be done by rotating the throttle lever at the carburetor or throttle body. Do not use the accelerator pedal to rotate the throttle lever.

With the engine off, depress and hold the reset tab at the engine end of the TV cable.

Move the slider until it stops against the fitting.

Release the rest tab.

Rotate the throttle lever to its full travel.

The slider must move (ratchet) toward the lever when the lever is rotated to its full travel position.

Recheck after the engine is hot and road test the vehicle.

(http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiBroker?ForwardPage=/az/cds/en_us/0900823d/80/0f/11/bc/0900823d800f11bc.jsp)

YOUR WELCOME

yeah i have those directions in front of me in the shop manual

but def thanx for the help.

gonna go tinker now

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search