Misfiring... I think? - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Misfiring... I think?
Thursday, May 26, 2005 8:41 PM
Hi everyone

I bought a 5 speed '99 z24 with 100,000 km, (60,000 miles) on it last week, and I really like it. The only thing that is keeping me from loving it is the fact that it is that it seems to be misfiring.

When I shift into second its fine, but if I attempt to accelerate hard in 2nd, it just kinda sputters, and doesnt take off, then when i take my foot off the gas, and attempt to accelerate hard again, it usually goes. This happens even more in third, not just with accelerating hard, but right from the shift. It does it even more when I accelerate in 3rd, but again when i reattempt it, it usually picks up on the second or third try. I don't do much driving in 4th, but on the highway, in 5th, it does the same sputtering thing when trying to accelerate.

I replaced the spark plugs today (they were pretty carbonized), but that didnt fix it. Where do i go from here? What should I replace? Should I take it to GM? The engine light isnt on. PLEASE HELP!

I must say, when it does pick up, it can really go, and I am really quite excited to see how it moves after this problem is corrected. ANY input is appreciated

Thanks for your time, and just to let you know, this site is one of reasons I bought it (the shared love for the j-body that you all have)

Re: Misfiring... I think?
Thursday, May 26, 2005 10:24 PM
BTW: I have been doing some research, and I have seen people suggesting wires, coil pack?, O2 sensors, timing belt... etc.

Which of these is the cheapest to replace and the most likely to fix the problem?

Thanks
Friday, May 27, 2005 9:25 AM
Welcome to the wonderful world of owning an older 2.4L. I have 130K miles now and have had the exact sputtering, misfiring, hesitation you speak of. When I lay on the gas, I get a put-put-put-put out the exhaust pipe. I have become used to not laying on the gas to provoke it. I have replaced the plugs, O2 sensors, various other sensors, plug boots, and fuel filter. Most here think it's either fuel or electrical related.

Others have said my cat is blocked (I will look into this). Or it could still be some sensor (Coolant temp sensor, crankshaft position sensor, etc.). My coil packs are fine. Finally others have said it's the main computer.

I am at a loss, maybe with the warmer weather up here I will give it another shot.

mtbon
Friday, May 27, 2005 1:03 PM
Coil pack housing, if it's an ignition misfire.

My Car
Friday, May 27, 2005 10:38 PM
Wires....they're cheap anyway.
Friday, May 27, 2005 10:58 PM
Drooler wrote:Wires....they're cheap anyway.

His car doesn't have wires, he has connectors. And he has replaced those already.

My Car
Saturday, May 28, 2005 2:34 PM
I havent replaced the connectors, and I have several outside sources telling me its the coil pack. My question is what parts to i replace (their specific names).

Thanks
Monday, May 30, 2005 7:59 PM
Just to let everyone know, my mechanic replaced the coils (im not sure if thats the proper name, but they are the black tubes that connect to the spark plugs) and now my z24 is running perfectly.

thanks for you help guys
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search