steering gear? anyone? - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
steering gear? anyone?
Thursday, May 26, 2005 4:13 PM
ok, does anyone know the criteria of having to replace a steering gear? Are you supposed to have any play in it? I checked everything out, the ball joints, the struts, the knuckles, the tie rods, the a-arm bushings. What I notice is that when I lift the car up, I can push the tires from side to side, like someone is turning the wheel. Its not a whole lot but enough that when I smack it hard, it makes a clunking noise, which is something I think i hear when I drive anyway. The other day when it was raining heavily, I was driving on the highway and everytime I came up to those metal partitions, where the bridge meets the road, the wheel yanked. It doesn't sound that hard to replace, according to my haynes manual. Also, a while back I curbed it hard core, when this old man ran across traffic, I ended up spinning the car around and smacking a curb. Had to replace the strut, knuckle, a-arm, cross member, and ball joints. So I think this is what it is, but I wanted someone elses opinion.

Also, where the hell can I get one, autozone.com and advancedautoparts.com don't have any. thanks.

Scott

Re: steering gear? anyone?
Thursday, May 26, 2005 4:27 PM
what I forgot to mention is that I tested both tires, and it happens with both. But one more so than the other. And there was something else, but I can't rmember what now... Oh yeah, on either side, the tie rods move with the tire when i move them, or smack them. thanks again

Scott
Thursday, May 26, 2005 4:30 PM
Have you checked your wheel bearings? That seems more likely.

Thursday, May 26, 2005 4:58 PM
that "clunk" & excesive movement sounds like wheel bearings like Zach said or when mine did it , it was a balljoint....................but, you said you replaced them................salvage yard or dealer would be the place to get a steering gear, if you need one.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search