Front End Noise......grrr - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Front End Noise......grrr
Wednesday, April 11, 2012 5:15 PM
I have a 1997 Cavalier.....after I bought it, I noticed a noise in the front end. Sounded like a grinding noise, worse when going around a corner at 40mph+, assumed wheel bearing. Took the car to the garage (one of the most respected mechanics in our area) and asked him to fix the wheel bearing and the passenger strut that was making a hell of a noise....picked her up today and he said that the rear wheel bearing on the same side as the strut was really bad and he fixed it. The shimmy is gone from the car but there is still the "wah wah wah" noise in the front end. He said the front wheel bearings were fine, as were the half shafts. Said it is most likely tire noise....which btw, I have never heard a tire make that noise. What suggestions do you guys have? Could it be tire? Or something else? And why now, after he worked on it is my ABS light on?

Re: Front End Noise......grrr
Wednesday, April 11, 2012 5:47 PM
Rear hub has abs built into it. Noise can also be coming from trans bearings. Not common, but does happen. Tires are strange. They can make some weird noises. Swap the left and right tires, and see what happens to your noise.
Wednesday, April 11, 2012 6:31 PM
Dave De Stefano wrote:Rear hub has abs built into it. Noise can also be coming from trans bearings. Not common, but does happen. Tires are strange. They can make some weird noises. Swap the left and right tires, and see what happens to your noise.

This.........u could have a flat spot...rotate your tires and see if it stops

Wednesday, April 11, 2012 6:54 PM
thanks...shes due for new tires soon anyway, think i may go ahead and get the tires and see if it helps....
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search