EGR Valve - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
EGR Valve
Saturday, April 07, 2012 1:19 AM
I posted the other day about my car overheating, and it recently started to sputter and kind of misfire and getting horrible gas mileage. All 3 are symptoms of a bad EGR valve, correct?

I'm just curious if anyone has had this problem before and getting a new valve, cleaning the old one (if not stuck open or closed), or getting one from a yard has fixed these problems.
Thanks

Re: EGR Valve
Saturday, April 07, 2012 12:31 PM
I took the EGR valve out and cleaned it, no more sputtering, and gas mileage seems to have returned to normal. At least that fixed two of the three problems and I only spent 3 dollars on carb and choke cleaner. Now to find out whats causing the overheating.
Saturday, April 07, 2012 8:33 PM
When I cleaned mine, it was actually the mechanic who did it for me. He used 2+2 spray, sold behind the counter, not your typical carb spray.
He was also careful not to ruin a diaphragm that is somewhere inside the valve unit/assembly. He also cleaned the tube that leads up to the valve
with spray and a coat hanger. I also was told to start the car while he had the valve off of the block, but I think it was plugged in, just not on the gasket part, and he said
give it gas a couple times. When I did, it still blew out some junk way up high and out of the motor.

Since then, I have also put small amounts of the regular Sea Foam in the gas tank, and even less (about 2 ounces) in the oil.
Saturday, April 07, 2012 8:35 PM
Also which car and motor do you have? If you have the 2.2L change the pcv vavle and pcv hose too.
Sunday, April 08, 2012 2:09 AM
Yeah its the 2.2L

I will get on that ASAP, thanks a lot
Sunday, April 08, 2012 2:16 AM
After looking into it, I've seen this engine isn't equipped with a PCV valve, instead an oil/air separator that is located inside the valve rocker arm cover that requires no maintenance.
Did you replace it or the mechanic did it for you?
Sunday, April 08, 2012 2:17 AM
My cars a 98, this is why. The 98 and ups don't have it.
Sunday, April 08, 2012 3:08 PM
No I didn't replace it, a friend who is a mechanic cleaned it for about $20, I bought the 2+2 spray, that's what he said to get.
Be careful not to ruin a diaphragm inside of it, and also clean the tube in the motor that leads up to the egr, when it's off the block.
Sunday, April 08, 2012 3:19 PM
but I had a stored code that said not enough egr flow or something like that
have you checked your codes?
I also used regular Sea Foam since then, I think it might have even been good for the catalytic converter
Sunday, April 08, 2012 11:44 PM
I don't know why, but ever since I got the car I haven't been able to check the engine codes on it. You plug it in, and the little machine you plug in dies. I didn't clean the tube when its off the block, but I will do that ASAP. Thanks
Monday, April 09, 2012 7:37 PM
No problem. Yeah, that tube or channel or whatever it's called was real dirty on mine.
After he sprayed and scraped that tube for about 15 minutes, there was still plenty of crud blowing out of it
when he had me start the engine and give it a little gas real quick. The engine was on for only about 15 to 30 seconds.
Then he reinstalled it and said the original gasket was still good enough to reuse.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search