How to drain coolant on the Ecotec - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
How to drain coolant on the Ecotec
Monday, October 30, 2006 12:00 PM
Hey guys/gals, I have a 2003 Cavalier with the Ecotec motor, and am trying to drain the coolant. I tried searching, but didn't find too much. I see a yellowish plastic looking plug, that looks to be threaded into the front driver's side of the radiator. I can see it through the bumper, and it looks to be an allen or hex head. Is that the drain plug?

Also, one of the searches talked about an engine block coolant drain plug, but the only one I found had a sensor going into it.

Any advice, suggestions, etc would be greatly appreciated.

Brett

Re: How to drain coolant on the Ecotec
Monday, October 30, 2006 12:09 PM
there is a "petcock" on the drivers side bottom of the radiator, should just be able to use a screw driver to get it open, you don't have to turn it much, crack it open and then open the coolant bottle up top

Monday, October 30, 2006 12:13 PM
Hey guys, decided to take some pics.

Here's the yellowish(I guess it's more of a cream color) plug I was talking about earlier. Is this the drain plug?

Here's the coolant sender/sensor on the back of the motor. Is this a coolant drain too?

Brett
Monday, October 30, 2006 12:18 PM
Thanks darkstars for the reply. Is the "petcock" the one I posted in the picture, or is it something else?

Brett
Monday, October 30, 2006 2:10 PM
yes that should be it. and dont worry about taking that sensor off. you should get it all out cracking that plug, i think its actually a ratchet extension you can use which is easier.

HUGE TIP: if you are having someone help you, make sure you are out of the way when you release that top cap. Its gonna shoot out like a mother and i wouldnt want you to get it shot at you too and cover you in anti freeze.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Monday, October 30, 2006 2:11 PM

Sunday, November 05, 2006 12:21 PM
^^^ X2, that creamish/white/yellow thing is the coolant drain, put a big tub under in, open that drain, it will slowly drain, then pop the top off the collant bottle up top and it will start pouring out.

Tuesday, June 21, 2011 11:44 AM
Any tips on getting that drain plug off, I was trying to get it off today and it just won't budge. It's actually stripped now...I think
Tuesday, June 21, 2011 12:18 PM
I have a 95... but I will ASSUME it is close enough. lol

1- Open the draincock by turning it CCW with a 1/4th drive extension until it stops.
*2- Turn the draincock back, CW, 1/8 turn. (with some long needle nose pliers. (or use your imagination)
*3- Pull draincock from radiator tank.

* Or just turn & pull until it comes out.

Auto-zone and most auto places sell replacements. The end might look different, but should be about the same depth and everything.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search