Question on rightside CV axle Removel??? - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Question on rightside CV axle Removel???
Sunday, August 01, 2010 9:46 AM
Ive got an 01 cavalier 2.2L 4 speed auto, I am needing on replacing the rihgt passanger side CV Joint. I have haynes Manual is asking I have to unbolt the intermediate shaft support bracket from the engine. Thats the 2 bolts above near the input shaft?

Thanks for the help in advanced.

Re: Question on rightside CV axle Removel???
Sunday, August 01, 2010 8:22 PM
No,You don't have remove that bracket.Remove axle nut,pop out outer tie rod end and lower ball joint,and sway bar end link.You might need a axle shaft slide hammer.I use a big drift and a hammer.Rap on the back of the shaft that goes into the transmission and it should pop out.Always check your axle seals for leaks and wear on that inner sleeve.Its a good idea to replace the clip also.
Monday, August 02, 2010 10:38 AM
Thanks for the tip, The CV axle was little bit of a pain to get out. I worked it out, Then I was ready to install the new of course its the wrong shaft. *&%........ Now off to the auto parts store to see whats the deal with this.
Monday, August 02, 2010 10:50 AM
I don't believe the 01's had the intermediate shaft...? Just the older cars.. like 95-97..?

Monday, August 02, 2010 1:19 PM
ok good to know John.
Monday, August 02, 2010 1:41 PM
Just double checked my parts sheets... the intermediate shaft was 95-97 manual transmission only.

Wednesday, August 04, 2010 5:37 PM
Little Update: So I get the new CV joint from NAPA same deal as the other parts stores, The inner CV joint has to come off my old and put on to my new, Thats pretty silly. I guess that what has to be done.

Thanks for youre input guys.
Tuesday, August 10, 2010 11:07 AM
Here's final conclusion. I had the right axle in the first place. The 4 speed auto one was the right one after all. Only this that had to be reused on the new axle was Transmission spline off the old inner axle. I end taking it to the mechanic, took him 10 mins to add the other spline to the new axle, I installed it in my car, Now it drives good again.

Thx again for youre helpful suggestions.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search