Low Coolant Temp Light ON - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Low Coolant Temp Light ON
Friday, July 30, 2010 3:36 PM
Bought the car about a month ago with the light on. I have checked the fluid and is full. It is not overheating and the heating works properly. I remember reading somewhere that I should take it off and clean it out real good and shake it around to unstick the float. Do I have this float and is this the right way to go about it?

1996 Sunfire, 2.2L, 18" Equus/General Exclaim UHP
Alpine CDE-9845

Re: Low Coolant Temp Light ON
Friday, July 30, 2010 3:40 PM
I would really like to know about this one as well.....my 98 GT does the same thing.....no pattern to when or why it's coming on either.

Stop, Drop and Roll doesn't work in Hell!!!
Friday, July 30, 2010 3:59 PM
Taking out the coolant reservoir and cleaning it out fairly well solved this problem for me. The float is on the end furthest from the cap, though, so I had to rinse it out quite a few times. When you shake it you should be able to hear the float moving around.
Friday, July 30, 2010 4:00 PM
Ok, thanks. I will check it out tomorrow and i will let you all know.

1996 Sunfire, 2.2L, 18" Equus/General Exclaim UHP
Alpine CDE-9845
Friday, July 30, 2010 9:58 PM
Mine was coming on for a while when I'd give it alot of gas not too long after starting it (merging onto road outside school) and it would stay on till I shut it off. It was doing that for a while. Maybe a bad sensor?
Saturday, July 31, 2010 11:51 AM
Mine use to do the same thing, clean out the tank aggressively (lots of crud build up on the little rails the float travels up and down on).
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search