electrical gremlins help please - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
electrical gremlins help please
Sunday, March 29, 2009 12:20 AM
Ok guys. i need some help. when i first got my car i trusted some shoddy wiring in it that ended up melting part of my harness. only damage done was melted wires going to bcm. all i had to do was run my own accessory wire to the bcm and tempororary fix solved. so. about 2 weeks ago it got worse. it decedided to melt some more..didnt really do any more damage...... so. i bought a dash harness off of a guy on JBO (viperredzed) which had all the options but Cruise and Fogs, so. i went over the harness to make sure everything was all good and it was. so. friday i proceded to put said harness in car. i spliced in my cruise from the old car which was no big deal and left the fogs out since i wanted to rewire them so i can controll them at will. so. i touched NOTHING with the lighting at all. now. here are some problems that i have after the new harness install......BTW the harness i believe came out of an 00 or 01. but it shouldnt matter. they should be the same.

1. HVAC lights do not come on. the dash harness isnt connected to the HVAC at all. thats in the body harness. i think there MAY be ONE connector just under the passenger bag that goes to the HVAC. but i know its connected other than that. thats it. i do know that in the sedan once i messed with the HVAC one time and bothe bulbs coincedently blew. im thinking maybe the same thing happend???

2. Blower motor does NOT turn off in the off position. it stays in the slowest mode. it works just like it did before even with the melted harness. just wont shut off. this problem i have NO clue what it is. or even could be.

3. DRL's do not work anymore. i dont know if its due to the harness not having fogs or what. but. my highs and lows do work just fine. as well as all the other bulbs. drls worked with the melted harness. so. again i dont know. only thing i can think of are things are pinned in different spots in the new harness. which i have no problem repinning. other thought is that the headlight harness end on the new harness has the clip broken off and there is some oxidization is on it. possibly battery acid was spilled on it and etched its way in. im thinking that this is giving a @!#$ty connection to the high beam wire not allowing the Full 5v to go to the high beam side of things. basically to much resistance.

4. this problem is either coincidence or is my fault. my horn will not turn off unless i pull the fuse and reinstall it. once you push the airbag the horn stays on full time till the fuse is pulled and reinserted. ive changed the relay. no dice. now. when my harness decided to go crazy a second time i punched the airbag out of frustration. could i have F-d it up. it was fine untill 2 hrs later i was just driving and it went off crazy and i had to pull over and pull the fuse. now. i dont mind not having the horn. but i would like to have it. so

anyways.. if anyone has any insite. or if rob maybe you could check the headlight wiring pinouts between the fogs and no fog cars and see if i just need to repin something that would be great. same for the blower motor and lights. its all just very wierd. everything else works great tho now other than the few small issues. anyways. any help is MUCH aprecciated.

Re: electrical gremlins help please
Monday, March 30, 2009 6:57 PM
ok well your not exactly close so idk on the issues but ill do my best over the internet.

1. check your fuses, if they r good then try hooking a test light up to the connection on the back of the HVAC, check for power and grounds and look up a wiring diagram for your car. if your harness melted it could of destroyed your wires.

2. this sounds to me like it could be a bad switch internally in the system not allowing the potentiometer to work as it should. your blower motor resistor might be bad.

3. I really dont know.

4. you could of broke the horn button when u punched it causing it to stay connected.

p.s.-why did u have to replace your wiring harness?
like i said thats the best i can do over the internet, best of luck to you.

Tuesday, March 31, 2009 5:29 AM
The old one was melting.

Are you still using the old BCM? If so it is possible that some of your problems are due to a faulty BCM. The HVAC issues could be as simple as a connector that isnt fully seated on the back of the HVAC module.

Tuesday, March 31, 2009 11:17 AM
mitdr774 wrote:The old one was melting.

Are you still using the old BCM? If so it is possible that some of your problems are due to a faulty BCM. The HVAC issues could be as simple as a connector that isnt fully seated on the back of the HVAC module.

this as well, thank you clyde, didnt think about that.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search