2.4 Timing Sets - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
2.4 Timing Sets
Sunday, March 29, 2009 12:34 PM
I'm in the market for some timing components and also on a budget. I believe I'm mostly in need of a tensioner due to the diagnosis but figured I'd get some other maintenance done considering I have 135,000 mi. on the car.

I've found that Advance Auto and Auto Zone have a lot of varying prices and Advance doesn't even list the Chain as a separate item for purchase which led me to search for complete kits and saw a couple on Ebay from PCI, Preferred Components Inc.

A few questions I have are:

1. Do I absolutely need to replace the sprockets if I change the chain?
2. Is is necessary to remove the engine mount bracket to gain access to the timing set or can I work around it after removing the mounts themselves?
3.Is a gasket set crucial to the re-installation of the cover or can I use some sealer? (I'm going back into this area in the next year for motor rebuild anyway, if that makes a difference)
4. Have any of you had experiences with PCI through Ebay or otherwise and are their parts of acceptable quality?
5. Any helpful suggestions about this job?

Thanks

Re: 2.4 Timing Sets
Sunday, March 29, 2009 2:43 PM
i just did this job on my 2.4, i did change my sprockets when i did the chain but i dont think they needed to be, it all depends on how they look. yes, you have to remove the engine mount bracket there are timing chain housing bolts behind it. i would recommend chainging the gasket so it does not leak oil all over the engine bay. i have never used ebay for internal parts because the timing chain is very important and if it snaps it will make a big mess. dont frget you also have to change your oil when you do this. i have an extra timing set i can see for $40.00 shipped i paid $60.00 for it

Sunday, March 29, 2009 9:15 PM
I bought one of the PCI timing sets for my LD9. It looked like good quality and has been fine. It's just a little disconcerting that so many aftermarket parts originate in Asia, regardless of where you buy them.

Monday, March 30, 2009 11:34 AM
Finally some maintenence needed after being sc'd soo long Sam? lol.

Yea the lower mount bracket needs to be removed. It blocks the damn timing cover and oil pan bolts. Ive never heard anything bad about PCI, I just wouldnt like to have to wait for shipping but if its cheaper go for it. You replacing the tensioner and shoe as well? And if you plan to do a rebuild within the year or so I say just buy the timing gasket set, which if its not that old you can reuse it again when you do a build; I just wouldnt trust rtv for that.

Too bad your not still in Baltimore, I could give ya a hand. Im living in Northest Baltimore now.

Monday, March 30, 2009 8:22 PM
Yeah man, not bad for 3 years tho. I just hooked the HPT up for the first time in 6 months to check on things. My AFRs were very nice and three days later I get the timing house chattering at me, go figure. It stopped today on my drives to/from work but I'm still headed to the Zone for some parts tomorrow. I think I'll put the chain, tensioner and shoe as well as the gasket kit....you're right, it should be fine once I get back in there for the rebuild.

Oh, give us a couple more years and the misses and I will be back to B-MO, we miss it there.

Wednesday, April 01, 2009 6:07 AM
Actualy sam unless your absolutely sure its the timing, check the sc. My bearings went out from spraying wet nitrous through them, and sounded just like a loose timing chain or something but it was the sc. I even put a pole to it and couldnt tell until I pulled it off and realized the noise was gone. You can even search youtube for some videos I made of the noise.

Be nice to have you back around, theres nobody around here with hpt lol.

Friday, April 03, 2009 9:04 PM
It's definitely the Timing Housing. I never got to actually swap out the parts but I suppose I need to before it snaps and I'm forced to rebuild the motor NOW. Right now I'm just debating whether or not to buy my parts now and yank the motor and build and do the timing, waiting to do it all when I can buy parts cash, or just doing the timing now and motor later.

It's pretty much a Next Start-Up to Next Year chance that the timing will go FUBAR so I guess I should make a decision soon.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search