rear end alignment - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
rear end alignment
Wednesday, March 25, 2009 8:05 AM
I was driving in the snow this winter and i slid and hit a curb with the rear drivers side tire. I wasnt going that fast, prolly only 15mph but i threw the steering off. the wheel was dead straight before now its off about 30 degrees, and its destroying my passenger side tires. Does anyone know how to do a rear end alignment? im told it can be done but dont know how. Its a 97 cav 2.2L 4 door.
thanks

Re: rear end alignment
Wednesday, March 25, 2009 8:16 AM
Some small amount of adjustment is possible with the use of shims, but this is not often done, and probably won't make enough difference. It sounds like you need to have the trailing arm bent back into spec. Probably best speak with a collision shop.

Shop Manuals, Brochures:www.kenmcgeeautobooks.com
Thursday, March 26, 2009 11:31 AM
Well if your steering wheel is off then its a front end issue. What passenger tires are wearing bad, the front or rear or both?

Thursday, March 26, 2009 1:09 PM
there is no adjustment for the rear end of cavaliers they are front end alignment only.
Thursday, March 26, 2009 2:39 PM
ZeRoBuRn wrote:Well if your steering wheel is off then its a front end issue. What passenger tires are wearing bad, the front or rear or both?

That's a big negatory on that. I've bent my rear end and the car drove with the back end kicked out and pulling bad to the right. Obviously I had to keep the wheel turned to the left to go in a straight line.

Jamie your best option is getting one out of a junkyard. The trailing arm might could be bent back, but once you bend metal one way and then bend it the other you start weakening the metal. Enough to make a difference? I don't know, but I do know there are about eight cavaliers at a nearby junkyard that I'd get a rear end from if it happened to me. Would probably cost less than paying someone to bend it back.

Thursday, March 26, 2009 7:21 PM
JBod9904 wrote:there is no adjustment for the rear end of cavaliers they are front end alignment only.

Jason, I don't know where you got your information from, but I own a 98 Z and have had a four wheel alignment done 3 times in the almost 11 years I have owned it. It can be done!!!

98 Z24

RIP Specks
Friday, March 27, 2009 9:40 AM
its both the front and rear tires that are wearing. i know the rear end alignment can be done cause it was the head of the service department of a local chevy dealer that said it can be done. he didn't really explain how to but he said something about loosening the strut mount and adjusting it that way. and thanks , ill definitely look at a junk yard for a new trailing arm.
Sunday, March 29, 2009 8:30 PM
i took a look at it and the axle is welded solid to the trailing arm... if i get a new trailing arm from a junk yard i would need a whole axle with the trailing arms on both side. I think we are going to look at straightening the trailing arm or shimming the hub... thanks guys
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search