96 2.2L running rough - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
96 2.2L running rough
Monday, March 23, 2009 6:20 PM
I'm workin on a 96 2.2L cavalier here. It's running rough, like its running on 3 cylinders. When I changed the plugs, the spark plug wells were full of oil, so I threw a new valve cover gasket on as well. I installed what the owner brought me, Cobra (Murrays brand) plug wires and Autolite plugs (gapped to .060"). This made no difference at all.

Does this car run on a wasted spark ignition system? If I pull wires 2 + 3, it's like the car doesn't run any different. I did the same for 1 + 4, and no change that was drastically noticable. It's possible the engine jumped out of time by a tooth. Is there any way to check/change base igntion timing to see if thats the problem?

I know this post is somewhat vague in "help, my engine runs rough. What do I do?" I've got pretty good mechanical knowledge, just none to do with this engine. Any help in any direction would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike

Re: 96 2.2L running rough
Tuesday, March 24, 2009 12:07 AM
IF the wires are new... it could be a bad coil pack or a wiring problem with the coils or ICM

The first thing you should do is throw away the autolites and put some AC Delcos in there. It's a long shot.... but I've seen a handfull of american cars that wont run on autolite (ford) pulgs before... it doesn't make sense but it does happen.

plus it's the cheapest and easiest thing to try.

Tuesday, March 24, 2009 6:07 AM
I replaced the plugs with the Autolites and the car ran exactly the same, so it's not a plug problem. I then replaced the wires and no change at all either. Any other suggestions?

How do I check/adjust ignition timing?
Tuesday, March 24, 2009 2:42 PM
He actually said to use AC Delcos... and NOT autolites....

Standard Course;

Spark;
Check Spark boots
Check Ignition Coils
Check Ignition Coil Connector Plug
Check Wires from plug to ICM
Check ICM

Check Fuel Pressure
Replace Fuel Filter

Air Delivery;

Check Air Filter
Check Idle Air Control Sensor

Vacuum leaks and such....

Are there ANY other symptoms?
What happens when you drive it?
What happens when you rev the engine?

Smile! All things fade with time...
Tuesday, March 31, 2009 8:24 PM
got the same issues here with a 97 2.2L new plugs and wires, air and fuel filters, oil and filter changed, had the timing done over the summer and even had them recheck it when it started running funny. Cant get to the base of this problem. Its very hard to start sometimes almost like a dead batt, foot to the floor seems to make her crank a lil quicker and when it starts up it idles for crap and is very puttery up to about 2500-3000 rpm and then seems almost normal but then again probably have to give it gas at the light so it doesnt die out.

Thursday, April 02, 2009 5:36 AM
98regalgs wrote:got the same issues here with a 97 2.2L new plugs and wires, air and fuel filters, oil and filter changed, had the timing done over the summer and even had them recheck it when it started running funny. Cant get to the base of this problem. Its very hard to start sometimes almost like a dead batt, foot to the floor seems to make her crank a lil quicker and when it starts up it idles for crap and is very puttery up to about 2500-3000 rpm and then seems almost normal but then again probably have to give it gas at the light so it doesnt die out.

Check or EGR valve gasket, or possibly the EGR it's self. Exact same thing happened on mine. It ran like that for about a month and then one day it would just not start. Period. Turned out it was a vacuum leak from the EGR valve gasket.

$2 later and about 30mins of wrench time later it purred like a kitten again...

Smile! All things fade with time...
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search