Annoying vibration at low speeds, plz help! - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Annoying vibration at low speeds, plz help!
Saturday, September 27, 2008 5:08 PM
Hi everyone.,

I got a 2000 sunfire coupe and I have had this annoying vibration at low speed 40 - 60KM/h = 25 - 40 MPH. When Im accelerating and reach thos speeds the steering wheel vibrates a lot and the rest of the car also. At first Ithought the tires, but they were new (Toyo tires) and then i though rims, so I checked and the "rings that go between the rim and the car" were made of plastic and didnt fit correctly, they were not tight enough, so I took it to a rim shop and they made me some metal rings that fit perfectly. This didnt help. I must say I only bough the metal rings for the 2 front rims, they told me those were the important ones, should I do it also for the rear rims? it costs me 40 - 50 dollars a pair.

Any ideas what can this be? At higher speeds a certain vibration is noticeable but its nothing compared to the one i feel at low speeds. I have had my tires rotated and aligned 2 times and it didnt fix the problem, i havent done this after i bought the "metal rings" should I do this again? or should I change something else? struts? shocks? strut mounts? My car is not lowered. I have gas shocks.

Sorry if my terminology is not the correct one, im not an english native speaker and Im a newbie to cars lol

PS. Since I had my car less than a month before I bought the rims I am not sure if the car vibrated when it had stock rims, as far as I remembered it didnt vibrate.

Thanks everyone!

Anyone driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac...

Re: Annoying vibration at low speeds, plz help!
Saturday, September 27, 2008 5:16 PM
From what I remember with other vehicles the transmission mount(s) could be a factor or the cv axles could be a suspect as well. Ive seen this on multiple cars and it tends to be a cv axle that is going bad. could also be something internally in the tranny as well. next step would be to check the suspension mounts and what not. One other suspect but not as likely would be "warped" rotors, but that would cause a little more consistent vibration over most speeds but would be most noticeable during braking.
Saturday, September 27, 2008 9:20 PM
sounds like something is loose, check wheel bearings..

------------------------------------------------------------

Saturday, September 27, 2008 10:01 PM
I would also suggest getting all four wheels balanced, could be another reason possibly.

(99 - Sunfire - Red - 2200)(95 - Cavalier z24 - Purple - 2.3 quad four)

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search