New IAT just broke? - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
New IAT just broke?
Friday, September 26, 2008 3:00 PM
hey guys my cars engine and trac lights went off and it started shifting real hard so after searching the forum i concluded it was the IAT sensor. After replacing the old sensor with a new one both lights went out and everything seemed fine for a drive around the block.....next trip i make the trac light is back on and the hard shifts are back all the wires from the IAT seem ok.....theres no problems with the intake system, anyone know whats wrong with my car?

Re: New IAT just broke?
Friday, September 26, 2008 3:08 PM
Probably have a broken wire (insulation may look ok but the actual conductor may be broken).

Friday, September 26, 2008 3:12 PM
it can't be a broken wire of the problem wouldnt've temorarily corrected itself when i changed the sensor correct?
Friday, September 26, 2008 3:21 PM
Check the connections at the plug
Friday, September 26, 2008 3:26 PM
done connections look fine like i said it worked around the block then next time i took it out it did it again so it narrows it down that the sensor was the problem and the new one did fix it but theres no was a brand new one is toast a day later right?
Saturday, September 27, 2008 1:10 PM
Andrew Fletcher wrote:it can't be a broken wire of the problem wouldnt've temorarily corrected itself when i changed the sensor correct?

Incorrect.... The act of you moving the wires could have made the wires touch enough to conduct but then they eventually broke apart again. I had this issue with my alternator and the fusible link

Saturday, September 27, 2008 4:24 PM
How about bringing it to autozone, getting the code scanned, and knowing what it really is?

4cyltuner.com - Information Source For 4 Cylinder Tuners
Buy stuff from CarCustoms Ebay! Won't be disappointed!

Saturday, September 27, 2008 9:05 PM
yeah i forgot to mention i did take it to a shop to scan the codes and i do know that that was the problem it was the p013 or something like that intake air temp circuit high. i guess my next move is to cut a plug out of a junk car and try that thanks for your help guys
Saturday, September 27, 2008 9:18 PM
Almost sounds as if your car is loosing its vehicle speed reference throwing the transmission into a sort of default mode, an IAT problem would not cause your issue.

------------------------------------------------------------

Sunday, September 28, 2008 10:35 AM
cavmania wrote:Almost sounds as if your car is loosing its vehicle speed reference throwing the transmission into a sort of default mode, an IAT problem would not cause your issue.

Losing IAT signal sends the car into some sort of limp mode making the autos shift hard

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Sunday, September 28, 2008 10:36 AM

Sunday, September 28, 2008 12:18 PM
sleepy sunfire wrote:
cavmania wrote:Almost sounds as if your car is loosing its vehicle speed reference throwing the transmission into a sort of default mode, an IAT problem would not cause your issue.

Losing IAT signal sends the car into some sort of limp mode making the autos shift hard

Correct. If you loose the VSS the auto trans will stay in first gear.

Sunday, September 28, 2008 11:35 PM
Exactly when my ait sensor went bad it shifted hard on my 4 speed auto. On the 3 speed it didn't affect it because of not being computer controlled. When that one went bad though the plug-n was messed up some how not getting voltage to the prongs on the plug but was through the wires. Hacked on off my old 2200 harness and solve the problem.

Take a volt meter and turn your switch on ground the volt meter to the battery. Unplug the ait sensor and take and shove the other end of the volt meter into each one of the slots for the plug-in and look for 5 volts. If you have none there check the wires and you should have between like 4.8 to 5 volts on one of them. If you do then the plug is bad because i had the same code on my 00 sunfire and that was the problem.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search