PassLOCK help.... - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
PassLOCK help....
Wednesday, September 24, 2008 5:33 AM
I already searched and followed the one on the library for a number (20+) of times but it didn't work. What am I doing wrong?

Here's what happened:

Friend of mine borrowed the car (97 Cav). Didn't know what happened but told me he changed the battery coz the old one crapped on him. I was happy since I got a new battery for free. He returned the car in running condition (he drove it) but mentioned about the "theft light" being on. Didn't really bother checking coz I thought nothing was serious. Next day, tried to start the car, but couldn't. So I followed the instructions on the "library" on how to relearn the passlock. It didn't work the first time, but I finally started the car after a number of tries. Drove the car around the block and went back home. The following day, I still have the same problem - couldn't start the car coz it shuts off right after it turns over. I was not able to start the car since then; even after following the same "procedure".

What else can I do besides taking it to the dealer? Any other "procedures" on how to reprogram/relearn the passlock? The instruction from the "library" is pretty simple and I was able to start/run the car once, am I doing something wrong? Any other ideas?

Re: PassLOCK help....
Wednesday, September 24, 2008 5:58 AM
I finally started the car by following the same procedure from the "library". The only difference that I did (or I didn't do) was after following the steps, I DID NOT OPEN THE DOOR OR USE ANYTHING THAT IS CONNECTED TO THE BATTERY. Just sit in the car and wait after 10 mins. The blinking theft light is already off so I think everything is all okay now.
Thursday, September 25, 2008 5:22 PM
if it continues to do it you need to hook up a tech 2 and relearn the theft data to the IPC. i work at a pontiac dealer and thats what typically happens
Saturday, September 27, 2008 2:30 PM
mine was doing the samething, at least once a week I was doing the relearn process, of course I had an issue where my guages would shut off, all lights on cluster would light up and the mileage would report ERROR while driving down the road. turns out my BCM was fried.

Tuesday, September 30, 2008 11:55 AM
Hey, I bought my 97 sunfire about 2 years ago and I was just given a key and the car never had any anti-theft equipment in it. When I go into the car I can see that it has a Theft System light but I've never had any trouble with it and never bothered with it.

I recently installed a car alarm/starter and I was wondering if the PASSLOCK is the reason why when I use my car starter it stalls instantly afterwards. How do I know if I have a passlock, and if I do is that what is causing the remote starting problem.
Tuesday, September 30, 2008 1:07 PM
You have to get a module to bypass the passlock system or bypass it your self to use a remote starter. As to how i'm not to sure.
Tuesday, September 30, 2008 3:55 PM
So basically what you are saying is the reason why my car starts and stalls is becuase of the passlock.

Ok, but can you answer me this - How do I know if the car has a passlock. I really suspect that it doesn't. I bought the car 2nd hand and it had a lot of @!#$ty work done on it. I've disconnected the battery for days sometimes and I never ran into any sort of security problem.

What are the exact features/characteristics of the passlock?
How can I tell if I have the passlock?
How do I bypass it for remote start?
Monday, October 06, 2008 10:48 PM
GMs passlock is on all its newer cars, it dosnt matter what you do to the car it will still be there, it is in the comp the only way to get rid of it is to hook it to a programer and get rid of it, but yes you can get stuff to bypass it but it is still in the cars comp! I work at GM!
Tuesday, October 07, 2008 8:39 AM
thanks. I ordered a bypass module - I'm waiting for that. In the meantime I have a few things I have to do on it anyways.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search