Cost to repair CV joint? - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Cost to repair CV joint?
Monday, September 22, 2008 10:05 PM
I believe my CV joints are finished - everytime I turn my wheels left or right while driving I hear a clunk in the front end.

I was thinking of bringing it into GM and having them change the CV joint (if it is the problem). What have you guys paid for part and labour?

I would like to attempt it myself, but it looks like a big job and I don't have the facility to complete the work.

Tanks

Re: Cost to repair CV joint?
Tuesday, September 23, 2008 7:35 AM
Yes its a pain in the butt of a job replacing the boot, The CV joint replacement is not to bad of a job. I wouldn't go to the dealer they will Take u to the bank on the part and labour. Usually a local shop will charge you hour labour(depends on rate $80-$100, CV joint youre looking around $85-$130 for the part. Usually if you can save youreself some cash on labour if u can do it. Also do u have access to the tools. Youre gonna need floor jack, jack stands, also good socket set deep sockets, 30mm deep axle socket. Could need a balljoint seperater, Usually not needed (good size hammer will work). Also haynes car manual would be good as well. If you got all that you should be good to go. Then some cold pop or beers for a good job well done.

Good Luck.
Tuesday, September 23, 2008 9:03 AM
rich weeks wrote:CV joint youre looking around $85-$130 for the part.

advance sells NEW (not remanufactured) cv axle assemblies with no core and a lifetime warranty for $69. they also have a cv puller rent-a-tool that comes with full illustrated instructions.

JBO Stickers! Get yours today!
Tuesday, September 23, 2008 12:42 PM
Ok sorry for the wrong reference, I am listing Canadian prices, WOW $69, Damn we are getting raped on china made parts, (hehe).
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search