ecotec - how to change my oil? - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
ecotec - how to change my oil?
Saturday, July 16, 2005 8:00 PM
I am gonna switch over to synthetic and start doing my own oil changes... i was curious of how this car differs from older cars.

I take out oil pan plug
drain oil

remove the filter

replace filter

fill up oil

questions are as follows....

any tricks to removing the filter? It is different then other cars since it is on top .

How much oil do i put in?

thanks

Re: ecotec - how to change my oil?
Saturday, July 16, 2005 8:09 PM
4 1/2 Quarts ( I use Mobil One ).

Get a adjustable wrench ( since i didnt have the correct socket for the 32mm bolt ) and just turn the cap off ( underneathe the intake on the right side ).

And just pull out the filter and drop in the new one. Fairly easy job.

Saturday, July 16, 2005 8:51 PM
make sure you put the oil drain plug back in LOL

Saturday, July 16, 2005 8:57 PM
turn cap off underneath intake? you talking about the oil pan plug?
Sunday, July 17, 2005 2:54 PM
The Oil filter sits in the Block? Head? under the black cap thats under the intake. He mentioned to make sure to put the drain plug back in because you didnt list it above, if all else fails, go to Jiffy Lube, and have the oil changed for like $30 or so..

Tuesday, July 19, 2005 9:02 AM
i thought it took 5 quarts.

Tuesday, July 19, 2005 9:18 AM
link

i knew i was right... look about 3/4 the way down the page where it says "Sealers, Adhesives, and Lubricants" and it says engine oil 5 quarts.. WOOT go me...

Tuesday, July 19, 2005 9:24 AM
.JeRsEy KiD.* wrote:4 1/2 Quarts ( I use Mobil One ).

Get a adjustable wrench ( since i didnt have the correct socket for the 32mm bolt ) and just turn the cap off ( underneathe the intake on the right side ).

And just pull out the filter and drop in the new one. Fairly easy job.

Nope the eco takes 5 us quarts but yes use mobil 1
Tuesday, May 29, 2007 4:01 PM
Sorry to necromance thread but I did my oil change, and just like Mr. Haynes said I used 5 quarts, but I pulled the dipstick this morning and it was reading much OVER filled! I think Mr. Haynes meant that 5.0 Quarts is what you use if you were rebuilding the engine from a short block. For a normal oil change, you would use less.

Also, who decided that a dipstick that snakes around a couple 90 degree bends was a good idea?! I can't even be sure of how much over filled the oil is, if it is. Certainly they could have found a way to put it so we wouldn't be playing pipe snake to get it in and out!

------------------------------------
We all drive in a yellow Cavalier...
Wednesday, May 30, 2007 5:28 AM
^^^^

Than you put in more than 5 quarts, or cant read a dipstick, five quarts fills mine up exactly.

I've done over 50 oil changes on Ecotecs and it always takes 5 quarts

Also to the original poster. Dont hack up your oil filter cover, buy a 1 1/4 socket 1/2drive, 1/2drive 3 inch extention, and a 1/2 ratchet and it comes out a lot easier.

- 2004 Cavalier - 124k, owned since new

Wednesday, May 30, 2007 9:57 PM
I bought 6 quarts of Pennzoil, and only used five. the 6th quart is sitting, unopened, in the cabinet next to the DEXRON III for the Explorer. Those were the only Pennzoil oil containers I had period. And yes, I let the oil drain for like 10 minutes. Maybe it wasn't enough?

Also, I wiped the dipstick clean before dipping in the oil again. It showed oil going up past the square part of the "I'm full" meter on the dipstick. I measured it in the morning before starting up the engine, which is a standard procedure to measure oil in most if not all engines.

Saturday, June 23, 2007 9:04 AM
this is my typical oil change on my 2005 ecotec sedan auto with pics.( when i can afford it I like royal purple, but syntec works just as good and is cheaper so when I cant that's what I use.

draining the oil

taking off the pain in the arse filter and cap

heres a pic of all the stuff i use for my oil change, syntec 5-30 year round in az, and yea I know there not the greatest but fram filter #ch9018 i believe it is. fram is ok and works for me and i get a discount on the syntec and fram filters so yea

pouring in the oil, the car takes about 4 and 3/4 qts, i think every car will be slightly different but not by much but thats how much my ecotec takes, the other 1/4 i pour through after the old oil is done draining while the plug is still open, then let drain for another 10 minutes.( dont mind the blonde hair in the pics, it was just for a lil' while for fun and not done yet oh and btw i change my oil every 2 months or 1500 miles whatever comes first, a clean engine is a happy engine

Saturday, June 23, 2007 9:08 AM
oh and hey dont make fun of my wheel gap!! i know it sucks balls! im getting a set of ls 16" wheels for monsoon season coming up anyway and hopefully by the time monsoon season is over ill have enough saved up for my koni sport kit and 40 series tires.

Saturday, June 23, 2007 9:34 AM
Its very simple. my car has had synthetic in it from the dealership so i never had to change. one thing i always do is let it drain all the way out and use an 1 1/4 wrench to pull the cap(which if you buy an AC Delco they now come with the cap which i think is dumb because it cost more) but i take a clean rag and put it down in where the filter goes in because it holds a little used oil in there and i clean it out. oh and mine takes 5 qts just like everyone else. im still using up my 3 free cases of oil

Saturday, June 23, 2007 12:03 PM
Very good detailed write up and pics for that oil change tech, DJ Beefy
Saturday, June 23, 2007 10:28 PM
Quote:

Than you put in more than 5 quarts, or cant read a dipstick, five quarts fills mine up exactly.

I've done over 50 oil changes on Ecotecs and it always takes 5 quarts

Also to the original poster. Dont hack up your oil filter cover, buy a 1 1/4 socket 1/2drive, 1/2drive 3 inch extention, and a 1/2 ratchet and it comes out a lot easier.

well in Canadian it's 5 liters, not sure if a liter is the same as a quart.

as for removing the oil filter, just buy the Ecotec oil filter socket. its only $12 and it makes life so much easier.

on a side note, does anyone else find the FRAM oil filters look "twisted" and starting to come apart when they come out? i will only use A/C Delco filters after the only FRAM filter i ever used came out all twisted.

http://registry.gmenthusiast.com/images/my2005cav/my%20car%20the%20bash.jpg
Saturday, June 23, 2007 11:18 PM
I'll find out if the PureONE filter is any better on the next oil change...

1 qt. does not equal 1 litre, it's like 0.97 qt. is 1 l. or so. Got to look up the exact amount.

Be lucky you can afford wheels. Until I pay off Uncle Sam I got to live with the squeakitysqueakitysqueakity hub caps.

Sunday, June 24, 2007 7:39 AM
i can afford wheels sure, sort of, lol i am getting a spare set of 16" ls wheels for monsoon season and winter and track etc, as the 18's are for show only of course but they cost me 3100 with tax delivery and all, i am financing them, so not like i bought them cash, but its nice to not see my wheels on every other car going down the road too. with the koni sport kit it will be much better with any of my wheels/tires.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search