Thermostat brands - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Thermostat brands
Wednesday, January 24, 2007 1:31 PM
I've had to change my GF thermostat 2 times in the past 90 days and need to change it again this weekend. I’ve tried Fail Safe and another brand, may have been NAPA. They suddenly stick open sometimes leaving her without heat.

For what I've found on this site, there isn't air bleed valve, correct? I've been leaving the cap off the reservoir to burp the system, and filling with coolant as needed. Also, the temp guage will flucuate while driving: at 195 then drops down to 100 then back up to normal. I've tried to burp the system, but it wont.

This is the last time I want to replace the thermostat for a couple years, can I get some input on some thermostats, preferably fail safe types, but if its not that also ok

Re: Thermostat brands
Wednesday, January 24, 2007 4:59 PM
ive hadgood luck with the acdelco one.
Wednesday, January 24, 2007 7:35 PM
AC Delco. You get what you pay for.

- 2004 Cavalier - 124k, owned since new

Wednesday, January 24, 2007 8:08 PM
which engine/year? fill out your registry. the ln2 (not the eco, though it might, i dont know) DOES have a bleeder, its on the same side as the egr, you will see a little brass double screw. you fill the res, loosen the smaller middle screw, and when it starts to let coolant out, close it back up. start the car, run for 5 minutes, cool, repeat.

JBO Stickers! Get yours today!
Thursday, January 25, 2007 2:23 AM
The cheap thermostat are not strong enough for the water pump the Ln2/2200 has. AC delco only for thermostat.

Gilles
2.3 Ho

Thursday, January 25, 2007 9:34 AM
Geez, I cant believe I forgot to tell you what the specifics on the car is...I'm such a newbie
Its a 2000 Cavalier with the 2.0 and automatic transmission (you guys remember this for the next time I forget )

About filling out the registry, I'll tackle that this weekend when I have a whole lot of spare time.

Also, about getting what you pay for, the Fail Safe brand set me back about $15 with a gasket, so its not an el' cheapo but has the same quality from what I am experiencing. And I have also had good luck with the NAPA brand in general, so I figured it would be ok.

Thanks for the help
Thursday, January 25, 2007 12:26 PM
'00 Cavlier w/ a 2.0??

If it's a 2.2 or 2.4..........GM P/N# 24577288 AC Delco P/N# 131-123
$13.74
180 Degree themostat. Stick with the best.

Thursday, January 25, 2007 1:26 PM
My thoughts on this that may help, unless it has already been done.

I've read it is recommended but probably rarely followed, test thermostat in a pot of water, using a thermometer. If it opens within the temp range it is set for, then it is good.
(Guilty, I have never done this myself yet)

Make sure when putting in, that it is facing the right direction, look at figures 1 & 7 as example.
Thermostat - Autozone guide
Thursday, January 25, 2007 1:42 PM
That test is useless. How many times do we need to say it. Delco thermostat ONLY. Other brand use the same thermostat for a few different cars. the thermostat that are not Delco's have a spring too weak for the flow of the 2.2 water pump and it keep circulating.

Gilles
2.3 Ho

Thursday, January 25, 2007 9:56 PM
Yeah, that was a typo, it's a 2.2.

I've actually used the boiling water/ thermometer on the first thermostat and for many other vehicles, but I'm not dealing with it this time I'm switching it over to an AC Delco
Friday, January 26, 2007 7:17 AM
Good to hear.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search