Slow start... - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Slow start...
Wednesday, January 17, 2007 11:48 PM
Hi Guys,

I've been noticing a little problem with my car starting... it's been a while since I've driven it but in the past two weeks... I've been driving it a lot more lately. The only thing Im noticing is that after at least a day of not driving it, I try starting it and it takes about 5 to 10 seconds to finally start over... then after that... after a normal drive to a store and then back out to my car after im done shopping, car starts normal, cranks right over. Each days, Its the same cycle over and over. I havent checked my plugs or anythng (which I will soon)... I just wanted an opinion what do you think the problem could be? Bad plugs? Starter getting bad? or what?

Let me know guys... and thanks in advance

STUFF FOR SALE... Please click here and see more info...

Re: Slow start...
Thursday, January 18, 2007 12:01 AM
How long has it been since youre car has had a tune up? How old is the battery? Could get digital multi tester to see what kind of volts are running. Also could have had some stale gas,
Sunday, January 21, 2007 12:52 AM
does the starter crank slowly? or is it just taking a while for the engine to catch and start up?
Tuesday, January 23, 2007 8:55 PM
No its cranking like normal, just taking a lot of cranks to finally start. I still havent figured it out yet.

Wednesday, January 24, 2007 4:17 AM
How about:-

1. The Fuel Pump relay/circuit is faulty, You then would have to crank until you build up oil pressure to use the other half of the fuel pump parallel circuit.

2. Fuel pressure regulator faulty.

3. Slight leak in the fuel line definitely causes this-had to have mine repaired halfway through a trip.

Just some thoughts to add to your to do list.

Alont
Wednesday, January 24, 2007 11:55 AM
wats ur mileage?
when was ur last fuel filter change?

Wednesday, January 24, 2007 2:06 PM
Ok, I primed the fuel pump for about 10 seconds, and it seem to start up better after a couple of cranks. So what are the possiblities for a slow start? Possible a slow leak? Possible bad FPR? What are your suggestions?

Wednesday, January 24, 2007 7:44 PM
My '93 info gives:-

1.Leaking fuel pump feed hose

2. Leaking check valve in the feed hose, inside the fuel pump assy.

3. Fuel pressure regulator leaking

4. One or more injectors leaking.

I would think you would be able to see/smell 1. and 4. would tend to give an overfuelled start.

Of what's left 3. is the easiest to check.

I think if you remove the vacuum line to the Fuel Pressure Regulator and you see fuel in the hose/fitting, the diaphram is broken.

Alont
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search