Noise from front end--2004 Cavy... - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Noise from front end--2004 Cavy...
Wednesday, January 24, 2007 12:29 PM
I'm getting this noise from the front end that kind of sounds like maybe the tires are rubbing (just to give an idea of what it sounds like). It's kind of like a rubbing/grinding noise. The only time I really hear it is when I am turning---and even then, it seems that I only hear it when turning left. When I hear this noise, the steering wheel is turned to the left and the noise sort of sounds like it might be coming from the passenger side---it's hard to tell exactly.

The car seems to ride fine. Not too long after I got the car, it had developed a hole in the passenger side CV boot and it flung grease everywhere. This was fixed under warranty though.

What should I check and how should I check it to pinpoint this? The car is no longer under warranty.

Re: Noise from front end--2004 Cavy...
Wednesday, January 24, 2007 2:47 PM
it sounds like a bad wheel bearing to me. a common problem with our cars. it is most likely the passenger side, because when you turn left it puts pressure on the right side.

http://registry.gmenthusiast.com/images/my2005cav/my%20car%20the%20bash.jpg
Wednesday, January 24, 2007 7:33 PM
To check a wheel bearing. Jack up that wheel. A bad wheel will have play in ALL directions, 3 and 9, 12 and 6, 2 and 7, 10, and 4, all over play.

- 2004 Cavalier - 124k, owned since new

Thursday, January 25, 2007 6:23 AM
After you check the wheel for play, take off the tire and check the wheel well for clean rubbed spots. It may be poorly adjusted alignment or broken sway bar link.
Thursday, January 25, 2007 3:32 PM
Well---problem solved. It was the wheel bearing. I took it to the dealer and because I am over the warranty by only 500 miles, they did it for $100. I could have gotten the part myself and done it for $65, but I don't have a heated garage and they had it done in a couple hours.

Thanks for the help

Thursday, January 25, 2007 7:18 PM
damn only 36,500 and a bad wheel bearing already.

I'm at 35,000 and nothing yet

- 2004 Cavalier - 124k, owned since new

Friday, January 26, 2007 9:42 AM
Rob S wrote:damn only 36,500 and a bad wheel bearing already.

I'm at 35,000 and nothing yet

Yeah, but I have done a good bit of drag racing too and much of it was before I learned how to REALLY drive a stick. I'm sure that was hard on it.

No big deal though.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search