Filter problem, what do ya think?? - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Filter problem, what do ya think??
Wednesday, January 24, 2007 3:22 PM
What do yall think may have caused this to happen? I don't really know how this happened but the Cavi ('97 Z-24 Caviler 2.4L 4cylinder 5spd....164,000 miles) started making knocking noise, and was a little bit under powered. Well I was messing with it today and I heard a squishing sound, looked under it and saw it leakin out oil kinda quick like. Well got it up in the air and started looking and it was leakin from the filter so I went "hum lets see if it's tight". Spun it(it was a little loose) and noticed the oil seal on the filter had been pushed out from in between the block and the filter. So I pulled it off and this is what I saw........

closer shots....

Yeah I don't know how it happened, but now I'm kinda worried.

My Rides:
'97 Z-24 Cavi, 5spd, Hunter Green, Alpine H/U....pretty stock
'00 Ford Ranger, 3.0 V-6, 5spd, fully shaved, 4/5 drop, 18inch wheels, 245/45/zr18, small system, bed cover, FIPK kit, full exhaust, 4:10 gears.......thats it......for now

Re: Filter problem, what do ya think??
Wednesday, January 24, 2007 3:36 PM
wtf is that?? that cant be good

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2267189
Wednesday, January 24, 2007 4:35 PM
Cody, this is sad....

Go ahead, pull the oil pan...

Then pull at least one of the rearmost main bearing caps...

For whatever reason, this looks like crankshaft bearing metal shavings...

If the crank was starved for oil, the rear bearings will fail first...
Wednesday, January 24, 2007 4:59 PM
To be honest what it looks like to me is that the inside of the filter(the metal part) pushed inward towards the center. I've pressed on it and it won't move, if it's something from inside the motor then I have no idea how it made it inside, and when I drained the oil out there weren't any shaveings or anything of that nature coming out of it. I'm gonna put a new filter and fresh oil back in it and see what it does. The only thing is that when it starts up it fires up turns over for about 4-6 secs and then dies back out. It's not making any noises or anything like that, I was talking to my brother about it and he's thinkin it's something with the timing, or somthing along those lines. It almost seems like a vapor or hydolock kinda thing. It'll run for a few secs then won't fire back over untill letting it sit for a little while. I'm trying to talk the parents into letting me rebuild it and making it a 2.4 turbo motor

-Cody

My Rides:
'00 Ford Ranger, 3.0 V-6, 5spd, fully shaved, 4/5 drop, 18inch wheels, 245/45/zr18, small system, bed cover, FIPK kit, full exhaust, 4:10 gears.......thats it......for now
Wednesday, January 24, 2007 5:18 PM
Well one that is Fram for you. Sounds like the seal blew out. I had this happen on my old 97 Z24 with Fram. I was lucky only a small leak. I switched to AC Delco and have never had that happen. Sounds like it starved the engine for oil and over heated the mains. When it won;t turn over is probably because it locks up until it cools. Like said pull the oil pan and take a look. Also switch to Ac Delco.

FU Tuning

Wednesday, January 24, 2007 5:32 PM
Cody, all it would take is about 5 minutes with a hacksaw to cut
open the old oil filter...Are there filings in it ?

And, as to why the engine suddenly doesn't want to run, it could
be that you're simply out of gas...
Wednesday, January 24, 2007 6:19 PM
Leland Sparks wrote:Cody, all it would take is about 5 minutes with a hacksaw to cut
open the old oil filter...Are there filings in it ?

And, as to why the engine suddenly doesn't want to run, it could
be that you're simply out of gas...

Yeah I'm gonna cut it open when I get the chance too, been workin on the house all day, and I'm not stupid I've got plenty of gas in the car, the fuel pump is pumping just fine, and I unhooked the coil and spun the motor over and I could smell the gas. But like I said when I drained the pan and the filter I didn't see any shavings or feel any.

But I'm gettin the feeling that I'm gonna end up having to take the pan off the car ain't I, but is there any other thing that might end up causing it to die off that quick? Any kind of sensor that might limit it to run time wise or anything like that?

-Cody

My Rides:
Wednesday, January 24, 2007 6:35 PM
It is my findings that when spun bearings you seldom find metal shavings in the oil. I have seen many 2.4's do this.

FU Tuning

Wednesday, January 24, 2007 8:12 PM
OK quick question, is the 2.4 Z24 motor an interference motor? Me and my brother were lookin at it and lisening to it, and honestly it sounds like it just jumped time, and the sound I was hearing was the chain slapping around like the tensensor didn't have any hold against the timing chain.

-Cody

My Rides:
Wednesday, January 24, 2007 8:31 PM
Mai quelqu'un d'autre démêlent votre problème... J'ai échoué...
Thursday, January 25, 2007 4:41 AM
Cody wrote:OK quick question, is the 2.4 Z24 motor an interference motor? Me and my brother were lookin at it and lisening to it, and honestly it sounds like it just jumped time, and the sound I was hearing was the chain slapping around like the tensensor didn't have any hold against the timing chain.

-Cody

Yes it is. There is very little room for jumping timing. I have seen that happen. Good luck either way.

FU Tuning

Monday, January 29, 2007 1:55 PM
Thanks for the help yall, just wondering do yall know off the top of your heads what size the crank pully bold is, and if it's standard or metric?

-Cody

My Rides:
Monday, January 29, 2007 7:29 PM
Cody wrote:Thanks for the help yall, just wondering do yall know off the top of your heads what size the crank pully bold is, and if it's standard or metric?

-Cody

I want to say around 22mm. It is metric. Everything on our cars is metric.

FU Tuning

Monday, January 29, 2007 10:01 PM
If there is no oil in it the oil pressure switch will not allow the injectors to pulse thereby killing the engine. Did you remember to fill it back with oil and putting on a new filter prior to starting ? If not that could be your problem
Wednesday, January 31, 2007 2:22 PM
Yeah I had it topped off. But now I have pulled the cover off the side, and found a tiny piece of metal in the tensioner so now I'm droppin the pan, I got it out and hanging but can't remove the stud that goes from the bellhousing to the oil pan. Is there a secret to it or something? It won't budge for me.

-Cody

My Rides:
Thursday, February 01, 2007 10:33 AM
Vinay Mal wrote:If there is no oil in it the oil pressure switch will not allow the injectors to pulse thereby killing the engine. Did you remember to fill it back with oil and putting on a new filter prior to starting ? If not that could be your problem

Oil pressure switch? Are you referring to the oil sending unit?

FU Tuning

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search