Car Pulls To The Left - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Car Pulls To The Left
Tuesday, January 23, 2007 8:07 AM
Hey everyone,

lookin' for a little help again. Friend of mine has a 2000 Grandam. Lately the car has been pulling to the left if you let go of the wheel.

In the past month we have replaced a bad caliper, all new breaks and rotors and even a flex hose. As well one day after a loud noise the broken coil spring was replaced. Once all this was done the car still pulls to the left. Its not a sharp pull just if you let go of the wheel in about 4 sec's you are in the other lane. Had it in for an alignment and that didn't correct the problem. They suggested the strut mounts be replaced so that was the next thing. Problem still there.

Anyone know of anything to look at. Maybe a bushing or something that just normally doesn't give you problems. Only got about 75000 km's on the car.

Appreciate all the help.

Re: Car Pulls To The Left
Tuesday, January 23, 2007 9:58 AM
Yeah, lots of things can cause a pull.

If a can comes in for alignment heres what I do.

First thing check all tire pressure, a pressure difference of 3psi, with the front tires will cause a pull.

Look at the tires themselves, any jagged edges, wearing on one side more than the other?

Jack up the wheel, any play at all, side to side, up and down, 2 and 7 o clock, 5 and 11. Tie rods, ball joints, broken coil spring, bent spindle, bent anything for that matter, all causes a pull.

If all that checks out. Than I put the fronts in back, and backs in front on the same side.

If that still doesnt fix it, I have seen before the cradle shift, which will cause a pull.

- 2004 Cavalier - 124k, owned since new

Tuesday, January 23, 2007 11:29 AM
I have looked at the tire pressure and tire treds. Everything is good and normal. As well there is no play in the wheel. From what i can see the mechanics of it all does look in good shape and no signs of leakage or excessive wear. Really stumped on this.

The cradle shaft i am not sure on. One thing i will state is if you turn the car in a right circle and let go of the wheel it will straighten up (this is at low speeds) where as if you do the same for a left hand circle, i am sure that if had enough room the car would do a 360 degree turn. Now of course the wheel starts to straighten but a lot slower than normal (given the whole physics of the car should want to straighten out on its own)

Anyway don't know if i have confused anyone reading this or not but once again all help appreciated. Thanks again Rob S.
Tuesday, January 23, 2007 7:45 PM
Well now this is interesting here.

You say you make a right turn and it turns back to straight ahead position, kind of like making a right hand turn, the wheel wants to go back straight.
This isnt done magically, it is the way the camber is angled.

If it doesnt do it when you turn left, you most likely have a camber really misadjusted. If the machine says camber is correct, I would sue a different machine.
I dont know if camber is adjustable on our cars, I know a lot of times though, camber that is way out of spec is normally caused by something being bent.

When you replaced the coil spring and put the strut back in, did you re check the camber?

- 2004 Cavalier - 124k, owned since new

Tuesday, January 23, 2007 8:13 PM
my car does exactly the same thing. however i drove mine into a curb going about 15-20 km/h... alignment didn't help so i suspect it being a bent lower control arm. i do believe alignment sets camber in place.
Tuesday, January 23, 2007 9:54 PM
I run a state of the art Hunter alignment rack at my job. Our cars *can* have the camber adjusted if you have the eccentric bolts (Not *always* nessecary but it makes the job easier.) Anyway, On the sheet that he got does it show a "caster" measurement? On my machine you have to measure the angles with compensation and it will give you toe and camber angles and then you have to set up caster. I usually dont even measure it unless its adjustable, which it technically isnt on our cars.
My guess is that in order to get the camber in specs the technician might of really screwed the caster and not even known which would cause a pull known simply as "caster pull" .

Other than that, what does the thrust angle look like?

------------------------------------------------------------

Wednesday, January 24, 2007 4:35 AM
Just to add to all the good advice so far.

I have seen, believe it or not, front tires of exactly the same age,make and type but of different widths. The car pulled towards the wider side!

Alont
Wednesday, January 24, 2007 11:52 AM
ur castedr on the left side it out. the shop that did ur alignment was probably too lazy/stupid to telll u that u need a caster mod done. on most cars, not sure bout N bodies, u have to drill out the spot welds on top of the strut towers. u have too much negative caster on the left wheel. meaning u need to take the top of the left strut, and push it straight back towards the passenger compartment. caster is not a wear angle, UT will cause a severe pull if out far enuff and will cause memory steer/slow return to center. have a GOOD alignment shop check it and mention this idea to the mech. if they know wat they are doing they will know exatcly wat u r talkin about

Wednesday, January 31, 2007 7:12 AM
well now thats @!#$ty. I appreciate all that help. Gives me something to try out anyway.

Seems like on the right track. Looked at the tires and they are in good shape. This set has been on the car before (winter tires) and never a problem. I think the whole thing can be point to one day when on the way home the coil spring broke. So i would put my money on that being the culprit... after what everyone has said.

If that is the case might be a costly fix.. espically for soemthign thats not much of a problem.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search