03 Cav is burning oil....I think... HELP! - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
03 Cav is burning oil....I think... HELP!
Tuesday, January 23, 2007 7:12 PM
03 cav
ecotec
5 speed
47,000kms
I rarely rarely go over 4500 rpm. I normally shift at around 2500rpm.

basically.... I had to add 0.5L of oil since my last oil change 3500kms go. I am useing mobil-1 synthetic 5w30. I checked the oil after the car drove for 30 min...I parked it, let it sit for 15 min. The oil was checked on a level surface. i checked it several times to ensure that the dip stick didnt lie.

Is this normal for our motors to require this much oil after only 3500 kms ? I am still under warranty, should I go demand them fix it?

Thanks guys

Re: 03 Cav is burning oil....I think... HELP!
Tuesday, January 23, 2007 7:22 PM
For you USA people....

47,000kms = 29204.45miles
3500 km = 2174.799 mile

thanks for your help
Tuesday, January 23, 2007 7:39 PM
I have 35,000/Ecotec and mine in perfect shape, no oil loss/burning.

Are you sure it is burning oil, when it burns it, it comes out all the tailpipe as blue smoke.

When it consumes it, it has an internal leak.

Also no outisde leaks that you see?

As far as fixing it, see GM kind of covered their ass on this. They say using 1 quart of oil between changes is normal operation, I believe this is also stated in the manual.
However I would still do what I could to make them replace the engine, if infact that is the problem here.

- 2004 Cavalier - 124k, owned since new

Wednesday, January 24, 2007 8:07 AM
No leaks visible

Anti freeze is normal colour....no signs of oil in it.

Another example why GM will never sell me a new vechile. Why cover your ass with burning oil? Perhaps design the motor so this is not an issue?

Anyone else have the problem as me? Any other input?
Wednesday, January 24, 2007 9:13 AM
yeah my car is in the same boat. used about the same amount of oil between changes. i cant really see the smoke, but i can smell it. i have almost 60K hard miles on mine and was also wondering what it could also be. a friend of mine said its ok but i dont feel comfortable with it, is there any preventative maintenace to check on the motor? im thinking its something to do with the rings but REALLY dont want to pull my motor ha ha.

Wednesday, January 24, 2007 9:21 AM
compression tests are your friends... could just be some blow by, or if you drive it very hard, tired valve springs (would by shown by compressiontest)

LE61T PTE6262 Powered

Thursday, January 25, 2007 4:28 AM
Compression tester, $60 for a great one at Sears, Craftsman brand.

All cylinders same compression around 170psi is good

two cylinders next to each other, both very low, blown head gasket

All cylinders are low, but if you add a little bit of oil to the cylinder, it comes out, piston rings are shot

low compression on all cylinders, doesnt come up with oil, worn out engine,

- 2004 Cavalier - 124k, owned since new

Friday, January 26, 2007 10:07 PM
Anyone else wanna shed their experince with their ecotec and oil consumption?
Saturday, January 27, 2007 3:38 AM
Adding a little oil is normal. Up to about 1 quart per 1,000 miles. I have a 2006 Cobalt ecotec but only has 4k miles on it with no oil consumption. You might try heavier oil, like 10W-30. In the summertime I use a mix of diesel truck oil 15W-40 mixed 50-50 with 10W-30. I have done a used oil analysis on this mixture and it puts down very low wear numbers. Others do the mix with 15W-40 and 5W-20 for a thinner mixture. In some cases wear #'s lower than synthetic. BTW just my opinion but Amsoil is a better synth oil than Mobil-1.

God bless America.
Saturday, January 27, 2007 5:31 PM
Rob S wrote:Compression tester, $60 for a great one at Sears, Craftsman brand.

All cylinders same compression around 170psi is good

two cylinders next to each other, both very low, blown head gasket

All cylinders are low, but if you add a little bit of oil to the cylinder, it comes out, piston rings are shot

low compression on all cylinders, doesnt come up with oil, worn out engine,

Haha the last one would be my truck it's an 83 ranger with almost 500k miles on it :p

My car--->http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2569452

Saturday, January 27, 2007 6:42 PM
I have a 05 Sunfire with the ecotec and I go through half a liter of oil ever 5 thousand km..I am using Mobil1 10/30..I also do 5 thousand km per month and drive it like i stole most of the time..It has 118 thousand km on it already..Went to gm and they told me up to 1 liter of regular motor oil is in the ok range..So I am thinking synthetic is a bit thinner possible to maybe burn some off...I am not to worried about it ...

Saturday, January 27, 2007 6:45 PM
I would not be concerned with this at all. My 2.4 does this as well. Really depends on how I drive it. Adding oil to a motor is not a big deal.

FU Tuning

Sunday, January 28, 2007 10:31 AM
Cool

thanks guys
Tuesday, October 06, 2009 9:31 PM
Have two 04 Cavs I'm keeping an eye on (kids cars) and the oil usage isn't an issue with either of them -Ones a stick car with 110k miles, the other an automatic with 80k miles. Neither has been fed synthetic oil. Neither car is babied.

Friend's has a low mile (40k) 04 Cav automatic, that was fed a synthetic oil since new, then switched to regular oil for awhile, then back
Car now drinks one quart a thousand miles.

Any connection here between the synthetic oil swap and the ring wear/oil usage?
Wednesday, October 07, 2009 4:49 PM
one quart oil lost is the pcv problem out of that freaking small hole in the head i have the same thing with that hole plug up.there is a write up in boosted page to fix that problem.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search