cruise control problem? Car took off on me!!! HELP!! - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
cruise control problem? Car took off on me!!! HELP!!
Sunday, January 21, 2007 6:43 PM
I was heading back into town this morning from being out of town for the weekend. I had the cruise set on 130km/hr. The road was completely dead. Then I knoticed my speed starting to climb up to 140-145km/hr and didnt seem like it was going to stop. So I tapped on the breaks but it didnt seem to slow the car down(disengage the cruise control).

So I popped in the clutch and pulled it into neutral. Then my RPM spiked up to like 6k-6 1/2k so I shut the car off to prevent blowing the engine. I applied the breaks and brought the car to a stop. I sat there for a min wondering WTF just happend. I put my 4ways on and then proceded to start the car. Clutch in, car in neutral and she started up fine. Idle about 900rpm or so and then proceeded to take off.

Now wtf was that? Was that a f*ckup with the cruise control or the car? This has happened the odd time around town but with a different symptom. I think I remember a time I was pulling off the freeway onto one of the off ramps and started to slow down. Then I pushed in the clutch to down shift and my RPM stayed where it was (say between 2500-3000rpm) with the clutch in. so I coasted up the the stop light. but the rpm hadn't dropped. So I reved it a little then the rpm stuck were I reved it to I remember reving the car a couple times and the rpm just climbed up to where I reved it to and didnt drop. I remember shutting off the car off again like i did today and it solved the problem. I'm sure that when i was on the freeway I was using the cruise.

I talked to my older brother about this and he said FORD had a problem like this a long time ago. and they had to recall the cruise control modules or something b/c they were accelerating on people. I mean my just took off on me. My floor mat was not in the way. I always have it pulled way back i make sure of that

anyone have any ideas. I mean i'm going to talk to the dealer about this to see if there are any TSB's about the issue if not then i'll be contacting GM. I was just wondering if anyone has herd of anything like this

Regards,

Re: cruise control problem? Car took off on me!!! HELP!!
Sunday, January 21, 2007 9:10 PM
Just get a used module from a yard for $20 and save the time and hassle of screwing with the dealers.
They're cheap cause GM uses the same module in just about every car they make.

Monday, January 22, 2007 7:16 AM
Are they all the same? If i found another one off a 00GT it should work without any re-programming? just plug it in and go? Has anyone herd of this before?
Wednesday, November 28, 2007 8:04 PM
ok so i am having the same issue...
not even with cruise on, car starts to rev up to about 4,000 so i slam on the pedal, goes up to 5,500 and then drops to normal idle.
every time i do this, it disconnects the cruise cable from the throttle body(the one with the plastic thread on it).
if i reattach the cruise cable, it'll be fine for a few days and do it again, i only use cruise on long trips but i wish there was a fix for this. i may just delete cruise altogether... even though i love it.

anyone else know the real problem?
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search