clutch? - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
clutch?
Sunday, January 21, 2007 12:59 AM
having a problem with my 88 Z24... i first noticed a quite horrible sounding popping noise when i would accelerate from a stop while releasing the clutch.. it was like something was popping and the whole car shook... it got pretty bad, so i ripped it apart... realized both of my cv axles were shot, being held together by just the boots, aka bad situation... replaced both axles, and the problem got better, or so i thought... it started doing it again, and got real bad real quick.... the other night i was driving, and it was to the point where it would do it anytime all the time when i was just driving at a steady speed...like a constant popping.... finally it just blew... whatever it was went, and it acted as if i had 5 gears of neutral... i noticed that when it blew, i dumped quite a bit of fluid...i thought transmission, but then realized that the transmission is still working, you can hear and feel it.... so im suspecting clutch... ive been told to replace the slave and master cylinders, but dont they only matter for engaging the clutch to stop?? and i can slide the transmission into any gear from any rpm and it just spins... im thinking something in the clutch let completely go and theres basically no connection between my engine and trans... so im thinking that the fluid i dumped was hydraulic fluid, aka brake fluid from the clutch... ideas where to start would be great!!!

Re: clutch?
Sunday, January 21, 2007 4:08 AM
No connection between your engine and trans eh".

Well the throwout bearing is what connects your engine to transmission.

- 2004 Cavalier - 124k, owned since new

Sunday, January 21, 2007 8:37 AM
if i blew the throwout bearing, thought, why would there have been fluid pouring out??? thats what i originally thought but the fluid threw me off
Sunday, January 21, 2007 8:01 PM
I am lost as to how the throw-out bearing is directly related to the problem...

Its definitely a clutch problem. Check the fluid. What is it? If it is blackish brown, its brake fluid...aka, clutch fluid.

Only weird thing is that usually when the clutch goes, as far as the hydraulics of it, you can't get your car into a gear. I don't know how your clutch would get stuck apart...but I have little experience.

"The Blue Bullet"
Sunday, January 21, 2007 8:35 PM
1st thing would be to check the reservoir for your clutch hydraulic fluid. If it's empty, or near empty, then it's a safe bet that's the fluid you lost.

If you did leak hydraulic (aka Brake) fluid, then your next step is to start cleaning.
Brake fluid is highly corrosive. It will destroy paint, and can even do damage to rubber hoses and wiring harnesses. If it made a mess in your engine compartment, you have a fun cleaning chore ahead of you.

Finding the source of the leak is the next step. If it is external, should be easy to spot after cleaning. If it appears to be coming from the transmission/bell housing area, which is quite likely based on your description, then you have more fun in store, because the clutch disc is sure to be covered in it, also.

WIthout even looking at the car I believe that at the very least you need to pull the tranny and replace clutch components.

Only after you know the clutch is working correctly can you determine if there's additional issues with the tranny itself.

Good luck.

-Ferrite
Wednesday, January 24, 2007 12:18 PM
actually ur gonna hate this, this happened to my 96 GT fire.......it sounds like the differential is blown, most likey stripped the spider gears......ill show u a pic of wat mine looked like

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search