Bad squeeking, possibly wheel bearing? - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Bad squeeking, possibly wheel bearing?
Wednesday, January 17, 2007 8:05 PM
I've been having this horrendous squeeking coming from my car while driving the last few weeks. At higher speeds it isn't noticable, but I'm not sure if that's because the engine is louder or my stereo or what. Anyhow, when driving straight the squeek is there and when I turn left. However, if I move the steering wheel slightly to the right it immediately dissapears. Also, when I step on the brakes the squeek dissapears as well. And just today I noticed when stopped at a stop light and I release the brake just slightly and move forward you can hear the squeek but it's a much longer squeek, almost like you can hear each revolution of the wheel. Does this sound like a bad wheel bearing? From what I can tell the sound is coming from the driver's side, but I can't tell if it's from the front or the back (my power window switch died as well so I can roll down the windows to tell exactly where it's coming from). By the way, the car has 120,000 miles on it so it wouldn't surprise me if it's the wheel bearing, I'm just not real familiar with them. Anyway, thanks for the help.

Re: Bad squeeking, possibly wheel bearing?
Wednesday, January 17, 2007 8:26 PM
have you checked to see if the brake pads/shoes need to be changed?

Desert Tuners

“When you come across a big kettle of crazy, it’s best not to stir it.”

Thursday, January 18, 2007 6:37 AM
Bearings go bad with a muffled rumble. My OE bearing hubs all lasted to 170K-ish miles. Sounds like the wear sensor is scraping on the front brake rotor.
Thursday, January 18, 2007 6:38 AM
Could be a lot of things.

Jack up the car, a bad wheel bearing you will be able to feel play in the wheel at with hands at 12 and 6, 3 and 9, 11 and 5, and 2 and 7 o clock.

Causes play in all directions.

Wheel bearings are pretty common things to fail, I do them on a daily basis almost, Grand Ams/Prixs, and Ford Contour, Cavaliers/Sunfires, I see the most of though.

- 2004 Cavalier - 124k, owned since new

Monday, January 22, 2007 7:22 AM
Mine started doing the exact same thing this weekend

Reality is an illusion caused by lack of drugs
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search