ABS and E-brake lights are on!! - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
ABS and E-brake lights are on!!
Wednesday, January 17, 2007 4:00 PM
Hello to all: Here's my problem, whenever i drive my car, the ABS and E-brake lights stays on. I currently dont know what the problem is, but any help from you guys would be greatly appreciated. Also, i have checked all my fuses and they are fine.

Thanks

Re: ABS and E-brake lights are on!!
Wednesday, January 17, 2007 4:08 PM
Check your brake fluid level.

Had the same thing happen. Was low on fluid.

Wednesday, January 17, 2007 9:07 PM
The ABS could be out. Took mine to the dealership and they came up with a motor being out and something else along with it. Would have cost ~$1000 to fix it but I hardly need the ABS so I said screw it. I'm fairly certain the dealer checked the brake fluid level on my car when they did the check. Course it is the stealership so I might be checking it in the morning.

* Student of the University of Oklahoma. Go Sooners!

Friday, January 19, 2007 1:16 PM
This happens in my 00cavy as well. I had the code run and it cames back saying something like "Main Unit had a loss of Power".

I think it could be a grounding problem. I have not had a chance to check it yet but I think its the one they talk about in this topic...

http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=11&i=118227&t=118227

Friday, January 19, 2007 3:32 PM
is your service light on too? my girlfriend's car just started doing this, except sometimes it takes 5 mins or so to come on, my pedal does the abs thing before the light comes on too... same problem you're having?
kevin
Friday, January 19, 2007 3:40 PM
i know on my car right now my abs light comes on every once in a while.

V Dub wrote:"Portion control my ass. Good thing she's not a psychiatrist. Oh, your addicted to alcohol, oh you're addicted to crack? Well next time you get that crack rock...... just smoke half of it."

Friday, January 19, 2007 7:20 PM
Yes, my check engine light is on as well. but thats because i have a bad IAC valve thats needs replacing.
Monday, January 22, 2007 1:50 AM
If the problem is the one Kevin h is describing, it happened to me also. After a while my car did the ABS check and particular sound geting some lights in the cluster on including "service and ABS" I jacked up the car and took the front ABS sensors out. They were covered with dust so I cleanned them carefully. Problem has gone. Hope this helps.
Monday, January 22, 2007 6:10 AM
So...where are the ABS sensors? I'm willing to try anything as long as it doesn't involve going to the dealership again.

Monday, January 22, 2007 8:52 AM
Remove the front wheels and behind the brake rotor you will see the wired sensor. Follow the wiring harness and you will locate it. Remove the screw (just one) and remove the sensor unit pullin it out. It has a centering plastic pin so it does not come out just removing the screw. The sensor is facing the teeth of the drive shaft (joint). Carefully clean them and re-install. Test your car. Good luck.
Monday, January 22, 2007 12:46 PM
Might try that later this week, it's a bit cold to be out working on the car but I do need to take a look at my front pass tire sometime so maybe today...

Monday, January 22, 2007 2:02 PM
see, i was under the impression THAT was the speed sensor? IF thats the ABS sensor, what is the speed sensor that people said is on all 4 wheels? Or is it that the ABS sensor, that some also cal the speed sensor? I cleaned the sensor connections, but didnt pull the sensors off and clean where they almost meet the axle... i hope to try that this weekend!
Kevin
Monday, January 22, 2007 2:57 PM
Itīs the same, if you note the right name for it is ABS Speed Sensor. When you hit the brakes hard and the wheel try to lock the sensor read no speed and fire the ABS system to let you control your car better. Our cars have sensors in the four wheels but the rear are different from the front ones. The rear are atatched to the hub itself so if you need a rear sensor you have to buy the hub. I am not sure if cleaning yours will solve the problem but you better try. Again, Good Luck.
Monday, January 22, 2007 3:17 PM
its called a Wheel Speed Sensor. As far as I knew all modern ones are part of the hub. On my bonneville and blazer they are. Sucks because it makes a wheel bearing a $350 fix at a shop. It would be nice if they are not one piece on these cars, but I would put money on the fact that they are.

And usually the brake light means you are low an brake fluid. I don't know anything else that would cause it...

"The Blue Bullet"
Tuesday, January 23, 2007 3:46 AM
In our cavaliers (95-04) the front speed sensors are independent from the hub and you can buy them without buying the hub. The part number is 22591939.

Kevin, James and Jeter, Let us know if you get good results when you perform the cleaning. This could help a lot of people here. If the cleaning does not work you might have a bad sensor or another kind of problem to deal with. Again, good luck.
Tuesday, January 23, 2007 6:01 AM
I'm really hoping it's just the sensor. I'll try to get to my car on Thursday if possible but it's been way too cold down here to do anything and I don't have a garage.

Tuesday, January 23, 2007 1:31 PM
David Rivera wrote:In our cavaliers (95-04) the front speed sensors are independent from the hub and you can buy them without buying the hub. The part number is 22591939.

OMG, that is fantastic. I knew I loved this car more than my old one....since I had to replace 3 bear/sensor combos in two years.

"The Blue Bullet"
Wednesday, January 24, 2007 4:31 AM
So the ground point G112 is being checked clean and tight--- before any money is spent

Alont
Wednesday, January 24, 2007 5:17 AM
alont wrote:So the ground point G112 is being checked clean and tight--- before any money is spent

Alont

Where is the G112 ground? Is that the one onto the motor block?

Nate

Evolution of Cavyboy-->C22t--> C24na--->c24s/c
1995 Cavalier W/2k1 Engine
GM S/C 13.940@99.78pmh w/2.068 60ft
Wednesday, January 24, 2007 10:30 AM
Well, I just got finished cleaning the sensors and found some interesting things. First was the black trash bag wrapped around my axel that I ran over 2 months ago. Second was that my tie rod bushing on my driver's side is leaking grease and needs to be replaced (anyone know how much that'll cost?). And third is that it was alot easier than it sounded. So once I finish lunch I'll take the car for a spin and see if the lights come on. Hopefully this worked if not I'm SOL until I can find a scrap car to get ABS parts off of.

Wednesday, January 24, 2007 12:38 PM
Well...no luck for me. Guess it's time to hit the scrap yards.

Wednesday, January 24, 2007 5:22 PM
Nate

It's in the link Steriophile posted above, in it Kardain wrote:-

[If you are looking at the engine from the front bumper, its on the top front of the transmission. It should have a double hex nut appearance setup...]

Alont
Wednesday, May 16, 2007 2:02 PM
I work for an extended warranty company for automobiles, we do claims for mechanical and electrical failures on cars, no accident failures. And the most common gm failure besides the speed sensors, is what they call the ebcm, "eletronic brake control module", usually run about 800.00 dollars gm, and thats the ones that are non-traction control, if your has traction control on it they can run as high as 1300.00, one thing to remember is your brakes still work, just not the abs portion, so you will skid if you lock em up quick.

http://

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search