speed governor/limiter question - Maintenance and Repair Forum

This thread is locked.
For more information about why this thread might have been locked, please read the rules.
speed governor/limiter question
Monday, January 15, 2007 8:11 AM
hey i need some help with my VSS in my 2000 z24 cavalier... I've just put all these mods on my car (V-Chip, HKS cold air intake, OBX exhaust, supercharger, throttle spacer, NOS fogger system, etc) and i was in a race and realized that when I hit about 108mph, the engine kicks out and the speed governor won't allow me to go any higher. I've been reading around and heard that there was a way to access your car's ECM and change the max speed so that your governor wouldn't kick in until the speed you chose.. how do you do that?? any opinions would be greatly appreciated

Re: speed governor/limiter question
Monday, January 15, 2007 8:26 AM
did you even BOTHER to search?

JBO Stickers! Get yours today!
Monday, January 15, 2007 8:35 AM
isn't V-chip the thing that you use to block tv channels?

Monday, January 15, 2007 8:36 AM
ibtl

n00b

Monday, January 15, 2007 8:40 AM
Well my opinion will follow everyone elses. First of all you should be researching suspension and tires at the least because the cavalier really doesn't handle much higher than 110 well at all. Second of all your racing around at 108 mph means that you must be on the street and not on the track because there is no way with those mods that you are pulling that trap speed so I wouldn't even recommend looking into it. Oh yeah and the last part but most important It's against the rules on this forum to post anything in relation to this question. Don't be surprised if this thread gets locked or deleted. Obviously based on your registry you just joined and just recently go tyour license. Good luck with your car and all. But do yourself a favor and look into why there is a speed limiter first, then research what you need to do to the car to make it handle faster before attempting to just remove the limit.

Monday, January 15, 2007 8:42 AM
You've been 16 for not even 4 months. Don't kill yourself. J's aren't meant to go that fast.

Rob

Sold 2/2/05
Monday, January 15, 2007 8:43 AM
Even if you did do all of those engine mods, you still have no suspension, tire or brake improvements and nobody is going to tell you.
But that is asside from the fact that you OBVIOUSLY don't have any of that by the way you presented this.

Cardomain|Myspace

Monday, January 15, 2007 8:54 AM
ibtl

Monday, January 15, 2007 9:20 AM
Light reading time (no it doesn't tell you how to bypass it)

http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=2&i=374381&t=374381

Monday, January 15, 2007 9:21 AM
Hang on guys, hang on. There is no info in his profile, so who's to say he isn't from Germany and he drives on the Autobahn daily? haha And, there are several highways in the Montana/Idaho region that do not have or have very high speed limits.

Listen to these guys, I know it isn't the answer you are looking for. However, before you go over 108 you at least need better tires that will actually keep you on the road and better brakes that will actually stop you quick enough. GM did not pick 108 arbitrarily; their crash testing and component testing told them that the highest speed the J platform could reach SAFELY is 108 mph. Springs, struts, sway bars, and strut bars would help immensely as well in order to lower the center of gravity to keep you on the road around turns. After those, you might want to look into purchasing HP Tuners for tuning to get the most out of your supercharger. By then, you should know enough through research that you can figure out how to turn it off on your own.
Monday, January 15, 2007 10:40 AM
yes I made it in before the lock to. You are not gonna get any help here or let alone any other Cavalier website saying how to disable it.

2009 Ford Mustang V6

This thread is locked.
For more information about why this thread might have been locked, please read the rules.

Start New Topic Advanced Search